Questions about Mirena IUD

I just got it put in today and I had some pretty bad cramping (normal, I know) but I found it odd that my lower back was where most of the pain occurred and most of the cramping is gone now but my back still hurts, is that normal?

Also, how long does it take for it to start preventing pregnancy? I got it within seven days of my period like I was supposed to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard of your back hurting from an IUD insertion, that sounds weird to me! As for how long until it is affective... I was told 5 days when I got mine. Unfortunately it fell out 4 days after insertion when I got my period
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Crrrrazy. I haven't ever heard of back pain, either. I have one and haven't had any problems. As for use, I was told it was effective IMMEDIATELY. But who knows, that could be wrong.
    Anonymous

• ive never heard of an IUD causing back pain, but you can google its symptoms. I had my IUD in for a year and got pregnant with it in place. This is very rare though. I think it is supposed to be effective immediately.
    Anonymous