Do you mind when someone comes to your home without calling first?

I can't stand it! I think its very rude. My MIL is notorious for it. This is why I've learned to not answer the door. I'm sorry but I have 2 kids (under the age of 4), a puppy, and a DH that thinks its okay to throw his sh*t on the floor so I can pick it up. The house is not always spotless, dishes aren't always done, etc. I've heard countless comments about my home not being spotless. But what really took the cake today is my own mother stops by without calling. DH just happened to be pulling in the driveway from work. I did get there about 20 minutes after to find her and a friend in my kitchen trying to fix my stove- when I told her days ago we decided to get a new one. UGGHH! Do any of your family memebers think its okay to just show up? Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that this is crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• MY DAD DOES THAT AND I HATE IT!
    Anonymous

• omg my mil does this all the time and she does not even knock! she thinks she can just come over. so i lock the doors and she will stand there and cal and call and call.. finally i get teh door and tell her i was sleeping.. blah blah, and u know all she wanted to do was drop off some stupid friggin bags! emtpy bags and said next time u are goig to the store will u drop them off in the recycling box? are u kidding me!! u drove right past the damn store to get to my house!, but anyways the answer is yes, i do mind! sometimes i like to be in my underoos!
    Anonymous

• You're not crazy. My dad used to do it and I told him he needed to stop. He was hurt at first but got over it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yes, yes I do, its inconsiderate, rude and obnoxious behavior. I would never dream of doing that to anyone, so I don't expect it done to me.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes, Its VERY rude and disrespectful no matter who does it.
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yes i hate it. that is why there is a big sign posted on my door that states"please do not knock or ring doorbell unexspected. young children at play and dogs will go crazy!" i have 4 big dogs, a 5 year old and a 1 year old and if someone knocks or rings the doorbell its a mad dash for the door with the dogs. the sign has worked except for the mailman one day had a certified letter that needed a signature.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 6:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• For family members it is OK, but they have to expect that I may be a mess or be in the middle of a project. The minister came once unannounced and I'd been working in the garden and was sweaty and smelly and dirty and wearing awful old and patched clothes. I was embarrassed, but I invited him in and offered him coffee and sat and visited in my yucky condition.

Answer by Bmat at 9:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I dont mind it as long as they don't mind the mess. I try to keep the house clean but trying to keep a house clean with 4 (10,7,4,2) is almost impossible by myself. I have a husband but LOL... yeah we know how that goes. My mom does it alot but she understands and never really says anything at all. I love her and respect her soo much for that. Now my grandmother on the other hand, oh brother. She will just barge on in the door and start snarling about the house or this and that. Negativity follows this lady. That is just the way they were raised I guess. IDK I would love to have atleast some knowledge of when someone is coming over. I would love to get out of my pjs first LOL!
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I can't stand it! I'm not worried about the way my house looks when people come over, it's normally very clean. I'm not a big social bug, and neither is my S/O ... We pretty much keep to ourselves, and a few close friends. Who all know to call before coming over or I wont be answering the door.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 3:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2010