what is on his tongue?

my son is a week old today and last night i noticed white spots on his tongue, i figured it was just milk, i am breastfeeding, hes also had a little formula. but today its still there and i tried to wipe it off and it didnt come off, and i could feel the dots. can anyone tell me what this is?? im a first time mom, and this is really worrying me!:(

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thrush its common, it will go away
    Anonymous

• Thrush. While it is indeed common, it doesn't just go away. Best thrush remedies are on kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It does sound like thrush. You need to get some antibiotics from the doctor.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• be careful. i EBF my ds and a clinic dr, not his regular dr, misdisdiagnosed it for A) acid reflux residue or B) hind milk residue. the dr SHOULD NOT prescribe antibiotics because often times THEY cause yeast infections in the mouth.... thrush. most likely it will be nystatin depending on how old your LO is. he did get it later because he got antibiotics at the hospital (for something else). eat lots of yogurt. worked great for my ds.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• definately sounds like thrush, no big deal but you need to get antiboitics from the doctor, and if you're breastfeeding I think you have to take them as well... just call the doctor! good luck and congrats on the new baby! :)
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yep, thrush. My DD has a stubborn case of it and I'm on round 3 of nystatin=/
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010