At what age does children stop taking a daily nap?

muherdfan84

Asked by muherdfan84 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 3-4
    Anonymous

• it depends on the kid.

all three of mine quit (not for lack of my trying) at around 18months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Every question asked on here is "what age" blah blah blah. Most things in a child's upbringing don't revolve around age. First teeth, potty training, napping, etc. It all depends on the child. Can your child make it through the day without showing signs of needing a nap? For some kids this 3, 4, 5, hell my 7year old acts like she needs a nap most days.
    Anonymous

• my dd was 2 1/2
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my SS still took naps last year on the days he wasn't in preschool. and he probably could still use them. he doesn't get enough sleep at his mom's. and then all day kindergarten is a long day for him. we sometimes have him take naps on the weekends/in the summer. his sister who is 9 use to take naps sometimes too.....never as much as SS, but we have her take quiet breaks when SS is taking naps so that they aren't so grumpy come evening time. Your child will let you know. they say that even if you can't get them to take naps that they should have a "rest" or quiet time when they are younger. my daughter is only 19 mos. there for a little bit it seemed like she was getting away from naps, but now she is back to taking at least one a lot of times 2 naps a day.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It depends on the child. My son stopped taking naps at 2, while I know kids that are still napping at 5 or 6.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My daughter doesn't really have a choice lol. She's 4 and if it were up to her, she'd never nap. But she does at daycare, and I make her take a nap for two hours on days she's home with me. I think they need that downtime. And I do too lol!
    ElfRuler119

Answer by ElfRuler119 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• mines 4 nd I still have him take naps if he doesnt by 5 he's EVIL!!!!!! tantrums out the you know what! I will hold onto naps as long as I can/he needs them.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 at the end of May... she started RESISTING nap a few months after age 2... we pushed through it, and she took one willingly for several months longer. Now she does alright without one some days, others she really needs one. She spends 2 days a week at school now and never naps there (they have a "rest time" that's kind of a joke), so make sure she lies down every day she's home with me -- the rule is 30 minutes without talking to me... if we get to the end of that and she's still awake, I will let her get up. She falls asleep about 90% of the time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my oldest stopped at almost 2 and his brother stopped around 12-15 months but that was b/c his brother is only a year older than him and i couldnt get one down i wasnt getting either! but now that my older one is in head start the younger one occasionally will take a nap while his brother isnt home and he is almost 3!
    Anonymous