1st time mom

I have a friend who is expecting her first child, a boy, in May. She doesn't take very good care of herself. She works 3 jobs just to pay off her credit card debt, her boyfriend works but does not make much money, they are on welfare, not married ( I don't care about tradition; I just worry that this makes it easier for her bf to leave her if he can't deal with being a dad ).....she spends a lot of money on herself and she is living in a dreamworld. I know she is a first time mom and needs to learn about parenthood from experience....but sometimes I just feel like letting her know, ya know????!!!! She is in over her head. Do you have friends like this? I worry about her and I want her to be happy, I am just worried she is going to have more problems than the avg first time mom, adjusting to parenthood. I am worried she is going to snap and lose it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• wow. sounds like she is busy
    Anonymous

• I think she would be a lot happier and have a much easier time transitioning from the partying life to parenthood if she read a few books, asked a few questions....educated herself. She does not do this though.
    Anonymous

• There is no such thing as' welfare'. In most states the only money giving progam is aid to families with dependent children. Since she doesn't have children she can't be on this. You don't know what you are talking about when you say they are on welfare.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• she is on government assistance. Government assistance is welfare.
    Anonymous

• Gaill, you're just arguing semantics! Welfare is aid given to low-income families by the state. It can be food stamps, monthly cash benefits, WIC, or even free medical care or public aid. If you're going to argue with somebody, argue fact and not semantics.
    Anonymous

• Omgosh sounds like my sister...except for my sister just laid around and let everyone take care of her and thought that because it was her first baby that everyone was going to do everything for her and that she'd get everything at the baby shower. Ummm.....no didn't work out like that....she got stuff the last month but none of it was because she worked hard to earn it...it was given to her and she led her first year of motherhood thinking and feeling that everyone owed her something except for herself...and the fact that its her child. I know alot of people like that and the best thing to do is give her advice and most likely she is going to hit rock bottom and learn that way. My sister did. I didn' t like it but I told her straight up this is what I was trying to protect you from.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 10:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2010