Will my kids be miserable not having neighborhood kids to play with?

We moved to our current house about a year ago, and much to our dismay there are no kids anywhere close to the age of my daughters. It's an older neighborhood with a lot of original homeowners so there aren't too many kids to begin with. My kids are very young now, but I'm worried about when they're older and have no one to play with outside of school except each other. Is anyone else raising kids under similar circumstances? If so, are your kids sad about it or just so accustomed to the situation that they don't really think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• no they wont be
    Anonymous

• What you'll probably do is to arrange play dates and drive them to places and have other children come to your place.

Answer by Bmat at 6:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My kids loved it when we lived places with lots of kids to play with and didn't play much and were bored more when we lived where there weren't any kids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• They won't think it's strange or sad if it's what they are used to. I grew up on a ranch with no neighbors at all, and it was normal to me.

It may be a blessing to you too. Where I currently live we had some kids on our street for a while that were a real pain. Their parents didn't watch them and just let them be in my yard or driveway all the time. Even when I'd tell my daughter to come in for dinner, and even after dark they were there. It became a big issue for us. I was SO glad when they moved.
    Anonymous

• You definitely will be...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• no. they won't notice. you can always do play date type things like someone else said or just do things to keep them busy. we are always visiting cousins and such so the kids barely notice that we live out in the country with no close neighbors with kids.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• No. You'll just have to arrange play dates and things like that. We do have kids in our neighbourhood, but my kids really seldom play with them. They're in daycare during the summer months when my kids are home, none of them go to the same school (some are in private school, some are in Catholic school, some are bussed to schools out of area), and generally there just isn't much connection there. And the kids don't seem to care.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010