Valentines gift for the teacher or just a card?

we gave the teacher a gift card to Chili's for Christmas and we didn't even get a thank you card...so I hate to be bitter but we are only giving her a card for Valentines day- my son made her one.

Are you giving her more than a card? if so what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i generally don't get gifts for teachers. occassionally i do, but not for every holiday. i consider valentine's day to be pretty minimal. i think making a card is plenty. from my experience, teacher's done expect gifts. i am surprised that your son's didn't send a thank you note home.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I've never seen a thank you from a teacher for a gift. Don't hold your breath. For V-day, my kids give their teachers one of the same valentines they give the rest of the class - nothing special, just equal.
    Anonymous

• As a teacher, I have ALWAYS given thank you cards for ANY gift I recieved. It is just plain rude not to. All the teachers I know send thank you cards. As a matter of fact, most of the time, the kids get the thank you card before they leave for the day. I think someone forgot to tell your child's teacher what proper manners are.

My son is now in middle school so I don't give out any gifts, it would be too expensive to buy 8 gifts. As a preschool teacher, the best gifts are ones that the kids make or pick out. The best gift I recieved this year was a card from a family that thanked me for how much I have helped, not only, their child but their entire family. I will cherish that card forever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• WELL we do not do gifts for valentines day. If the kids want they can make their teacher a card and thats up to them. We do do sm x-mas gifts and I did receive thank you cards from all but one teacher. I did not think much of it but its definantly a nice gester!
    Anonymous

• A hand made card is very thoughtful. Ask your child what he likes about his teacher and his classroom. Then write three things he likes about her and three things he likes about being in her class. That is appropriate and lets her know what she is doing right per your child's perspective. As far as the thank you goes.....at the end of the school year I would send her a note thanking her for the school year but that in the future she may want to send thank you cards at Christmas and how appreciated that would be. Some families can barely afford to but they do give the teacher something. Regardless if it is a gift card or a handmade one....holiday thank yous are a must.  You are giving her the opportunity to correct her actions for next year and to be a bit more professional with the next set of families.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I've never done Valentines for the teachers. We give Christmas, teacher appreciation week (group gift from class) and end of the year. Some teachers give thank you notes, some don't. I don't sweat it. She has a lot of other things to do.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2010