Why have they started saying four month olds can have cereal?

I always thought it was for six month olds, but now since having my baby, who is 4 1/2 months old, I have heard many mothers say they sarted cereal before six months old. I have heard about the allergy aspect but why are they doing it earlier? My son seems like he would be more satisfied if he ate a little more than what he gets. (he is breastfed every two hours) I am pondering the idea of giving him cereal but I am holding out until he goes to the doc next week. Any advice?

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started giving my son cereal at four months and he has been absolutely fine. Many of my relatives and people I know started babies much younger than that and the babies never had any allergies or digestive problems. I know there is constantly new research, and a lot of what use to be acceptable has been proven to be not such a good idea, but in this case, I think it's totally safe to start a baby at 4 months. If you feel uncomfortable with it, don't do it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• my son was born weighing 9lbs and was EBF and seemed hungry...but I waited until his 4mo appointment, and the doctor suggested trying cereal. I swear the worst part of being a new mom for me back when he was a baby (hes 2yr 3mo now) was that there always seemed to be conflicting "studies" about when it's safe to do basically everything... lol. I think if hes hungry and you feel comfortable giving him cereal, go for it. I about lost it when I found out my sister in law gave her daughter (who is 4.5 months younger than my son) every type of dang baby food at 2 months....thats a little rediculous, BUT she's fine with no allergies or anything so who knows really.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010