Why have they started saying four month olds can have cereal?

I always thought it was for six month olds, but now since having my baby, who is 4 1/2 months old, I have heard many mothers say they sarted cereal before six months old. I have heard about the allergy aspect but why are they doing it earlier? My son seems like he would be more satisfied if he ate a little more than what he gets. (he is breastfed every two hours) I am pondering the idea of giving him cereal but I am holding out until he goes to the doc next week. Any advice?

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard say that formula fed babies can have it after 4 months, but BF should wait for six. In my opinion, ALL solid food should wait until after 6 months because babies have such delicate little tummies. However, I'd skip cereal all together because it has a tendency to cause constipation, and it really has no flavor. Go straight to fruits and veggies at 6 months, but until 1 year, it's only for fun and not for nutrition. Until 1, all nutrition should still come from formula or breast milk.
    Anonymous

• Doctors have been recommending a four month start for formula babies for years now. It's not new.

Cereal does NOT make them hold out longer, though...if yours is waiting two hours between feeds he's doing about as well as you can expect for this age.

There's a great article on kellymom.com on delaying solids to six months. And be aware that when you DO start them...they FOLLOW nursing.

And know that you never need to do cereal at all. You can start with fruits and veggies.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Who are they? Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• When my 12 year old was a baby, the "rule" was pretty much starting cereal at 4 months. It's only recently that all the magazines, articles, drs, etc have been saying to wait until 6 months. Twenty years ago, moms used to start babies on cereal at 2-3 weeks! Four months is nothing new. I started all 4 of mine on cereal at 4 months. It's something you need to discuss with your pediatrician, do some research, and then make your own decision about.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My DDs pedi told me today to start cereal. She is exactly 4 months today. She shows all the signs that she is ready and even tries to rip the food out of my hand and freaks out if she doesn't get it. The pedi told me today that it's for experimental purposes. She said "She wants to know what mommy is eating, spoon feed her cereal and let her see what it's all about!"
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I was feeding my dd cereal at 4 months, and she did great with it. Personally, I think if the baby acts like they are hungry for more than formula, or breast milk, try it. If your son is ready, he will eat from the spoon. My dds ped had us start with cereal mixed with her bottle to get her used to the taste, then go from there.
    Lilglowy

Answer by Lilglowy at 10:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• That's not new. My son is 19 years old & the told me that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i agree with rkoloms... please all mummas read her entry!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i was feeding my 2wk old rice cereal bc she wasnt getting filled up off of just her formula she had no problems her doctors recamended i do that
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2010