What should I do about a 19 month old that constantly wants to eat?

My 19 month old daughter is constantly wanting to eat. Even right after a meal. She is only 21lbs so its not like she is over weight but I dont want her to eat just because she is bored or because she always needs to have a piece of food in her hand. Today I caught her eating out of a box of crackers that she took off the table plus digging in the trash for food! Believe me she eats her fill during meals plus snacks. How can I get her quit using food as a comfort? We can hardly go to Target or the grocery store because she knows they hand out cookies there. I would just ignore her and not give her one but with an older child thats hard to do. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try to do something else to distract her.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE----I must add that I do try to distract her but there are times it just doesnt work. She will scream and cry until we give her food. This just doesnt seem normal to me!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she's hungry. They do eat a lot at that age. It's a phase. Feed the kid.
    Anonymous

• feed her. at that age they have another MASSIVE growth spurt. all 3 of my children cycle through eating phases. bottom line, if she is hungry feed her.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Feed her. If you are worried about weight or using food as a comfort, feed her healthy items like carrots and brocolli. If she is truly using food for comfort then she will turn her nose up, if she is hungry she will eat.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I would feed her.. I don't know how much kids can actualy over eat. Also, my son did that a lot when he was about 18 months and I started to give him a multivitamin because I thought maybe he was missing something essential (since toddlers as such pick eaters) and it seemed to help..
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Fill 'er up! At this age she's most likely having a growth spurt and needs all the extra calories. I know my middle child (who normally just picks at dinner) will chow down on anything and everything when shes going through a spurt! Just make sure its healthy calories like fruits or raisins or something like Chex Mix (family favorite!).
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• At that age they are moving and exploring more so I would give her more to eat. Also keep in mind it's cold out right now so it costs our bodies more energy to keep warm. Just give her healthy stuff like the PPs said.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My 22mos old is at the stage where she refuses to eat and she is about 21pounds! I would feed her but be sure its healthy! I am not one to not feed them at this age as long as its good for them and not junk. She may be in a growth spurt also try drinks sometimes she may just be thirsty and not so much hungry. My LO also diggs in the trash! AND its food she refused earlier but somehow it taste better from the trash when she gets it so I have to keep my eye on her! LOL
    Anonymous

• oh feed the kid mine goes through spells like that when she eats more then me sometimes it seems. she will eat breakfast, lunch, dinner with my mom then brother then a snack and when i get off work she eats agian sometimes. and sometimes she doesnt eat hardly ne thing for days it seems. if shes not over weight which she not if she only 21lbs let the kid eat. as long as its good healthy foods. and isnt making herself sick. maybe she needs more filling foods in her diet?
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2010