How can I reduce conjestion in my 5 month old? we aleady use the humidifier, she wakes several times at night and needs to be held upright to allow drainage. what should we do?

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 6:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have u tried vicks vapor rub, they have it for infants too
    Anonymous

• Saline nasal spray to thin out the mucous. Then a bulb syringe to suck some of it out.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 6:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Prop her mattress of have her sleep in a bouncy seat.
    To prop her mattress put a pillow under the mattress and it will help things drain.
    You can also use saline drops and then a bulb syringe to clean things out before bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• About two hours before bedtime, take your baby to the bathroom and run the shower nice and hot. Let your child sit in the bathroom and breathe the steam (don't put her in the water). It helps if you have her in a semi upright position during and afterwards so the mucus can drain. GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you're breastfeeding a few drops of breastmilk in the nose will also help.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• little noses (saline solution) is a good product we used. our son was probably a little older. you may want to ask a nurse or doctor.... and I would definately check with your doctor before using vaporub, I don't think that's a good choice for a baby.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• At that age - call the doctor.
    Anonymous

• I would call the doctor. My pedi always says if their sleep and/or feeding gets off to come in, especially when they are that little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2010