How old was your baby when they stopped eating formula?

My daughter all of a sudden won't take a bottle, but drinks ok out of her sippy cup, though she doesn't care for fomula anymore. I don't really WANT to take her off formula until she's closer to like 14 months or so, but she's going to 12 months in 11 days and I've heard that that's ok... opinions?

not-so-des-hw

Asked by not-so-des-hw at 6:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Son was drinking regular milk at 12 months. It was all formula until then. Right before 12 months he only wanted the sippy cup too. Sometimes you dont have to break them of the bottle they do it for you.
    Anonymous

• yeah at a years age you can take them off formula. Drinking from a sippy cup is also fine.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• 12 months is the average age to switch to cows milk and food, away from formula.

My son was on formula till 18mths but only because he was premie and the doc thoght the extra months would be good for him.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• you are supposed to switch at 12 months to whole vitamin d milk instead.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• yup 12 months is the age to stop formula usually - so go ahead
    I stopped about 11 1/2 months with my son

oh - and be happy that she is chucking the bottle on her own! :) I never had a prob taking it form my son, but some children have a very hard time letting go of it.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My daughter is 12 months and she hasn't had formula in about a month. She has been on a sippy cup for about 2 months.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i put my son at cow milk at 10 1/2 mts. and my dd at 11mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• We cut formula on the first birthday, give or take a few days. We also intro'd the sippy early, and had one early bottle weaner too - very nice not having to take it away, be glad for that one! She's close enough to a year, if she doesn't want the formula any more, don't worry about it, as long as she's eating well and not downing cup after cup of milk.
    Anonymous

• 12 months is fine for whole milk instead of formula. I envy all you- my son is 2.5 years old and still lives on formula due to food allergies. His formula is $46 per can and it lasts for 2 days. :-(
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If she's eating foods well, then it's OK to stop formula. You can continue to offer it, maybe less often, if you choose. You can offer water, milk, as well. Milk isn't NECESSARY, but it is acceptable at this age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010