8 month old still co-sleeping...how to wean her to her crib????

Hello Mommies,
I'm still co-sleeping with my 8 month old baby girl, whom i still nurse in the middle of the night. I really want to wean her to her crib and get her to sooth herself back to sleep without using the 'cry it out' method. Many people tell me that i have to let her cry in order for her to learn to fall asleep on her own ( I sitll rock her to sleep) please help, my husband and i can't get much sleep because she moves around a lot in bed and we both believe that it's time she starts to sleep in her own crib. I have tried to let her cry but i just can't do it!! i end up picking her up and feeling really bad for letting her cry as long as i did!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 12 months and she naps in her bed and falls asleep at night in her crib. If she wakes up in the middle of the night then I get her and put her in bed with me. Some nights she sleeps all night and some nights she wakes up.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• wel hun if you want her out of your bed,.cio. i cosleep with my dd and she was in by bed for almost 2 yrs. she has her own room but everynite she still comes to my bed. so either cio or get used to cosleeping
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Don't start cio unless you are really committed to it. All you are teaching her is that if she cries long enough, you will go in and get her. I never co-slept so I have no advice for you, Sorry.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• If you are rocking to sleep, I would keep doing that and instead of putting her in bed with you put her in the crib once asleep. Then gradually lesson the amount of time you rock. It might take a while, but eventually you can start putting her down when she is just really sleep and not yet sleeping. If she still starts fussing a lot when you put her down I would let her cry for five minutes then go in rub her back relax her ect. Then try to leave for 10 minutes. Each time try to make the amount of time a little longer. Also I don't know if I would try weaning from night feeding at the same time, but it is up to you. Maybe only feed once in the middle of the night and the other times just soothe with the other methods. I hope that makes sense. If you really want your baby out of your bed I would really stick to it now, because it will only get harder later especially if you are not getting any sleep. GL!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Rocking to sleep WORKS. Don't knock it. **smile**

There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010