Question to fondant cake makers

I'm just starting out, Ive always been good at sculpting clay, and everyone says fondant is much the same. So I decided to give it a shot. I've got the cake pans in the oven, I found a marshmellow fondant recipe on youtube, which Ive made already. I was just wondering if there's any advice the experienced bakers can give me about working with cake/fondant/ect. Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cold hands. Working with chocolate or cake decorating, always have cold hands. I keep a glass filled with ice water next to me. I hold the glass to cool my hands. I keep a hand towel to dry them.

Make sure your pastry cloth is lint-free if you will roll out on a cloth. Picking lint out is miserable.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Roll it out on a mat. Wilton makes one. sprinkle it with powdered sugar to keep it from sticking. It will have a "dusty" look to it. But you can paint a little water over it later and it will soak it up or just let it sit. Homemade Fondant works best once it's rested. Over night is best or a few hours if that's all you got. Make sure you wrap it up tight in plastic wrap and store in an air tight baggie. It will keep for 2 months on the counter. If it's cracking, it's too dry, add a little crisco to your finders, if its too gooey, add a little p-sugar. Join the group on here called "Cake 101" There are forums in there to tell you everything you need to know! :)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2010