Planned Parenthood under probation for Minors receiving ABORTIONS?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14373272

A Birmingham abortion clinic that was targeted in an undercover sting by anti-abortion activists has been put on probation by the state.
State health officials tell The Associated Press that the Planned Parenthood clinic has until next week to present its plan to correct violations involving minors receiving abortions.
Investigators with the department said records at the clinic showed several minors aged 13-15 had received abortions without proper verification of parental consent since November 2008.
Activists with “Live Action,” a California-based anti-abortion group, posed as a pregnant 14-year-old girl who needed a secret abortion. In an audio tape from the visit, an employee allegedly suggests that someone other than a parent or legal guardian could give consent.
The group’s claim last year led Alabama health officials to investigate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good! I hope they close it down!

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 7:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think teenagers should be able to have an abortion (or more imporantly, get birth control) without parental consent, but since it's still illegal here, I don't have a problem with them being put on probation... The law is the law. If you break it, there should be consequences.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• So, a 14-15 child can get pregnant and decide to keep the baby or give the baby up for adoption without consent but she can't decide to have an abortion without consent? Hmmm..double standard.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• This isn't the first time PP broke the law like this, they do it all the time! As a parent if my minor child goes to the hospital, by law I have to sign all papers for anything.  What PP did IS a crime and disgusting!

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 7:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• That's really sad. I hope they follow up with the children and make sure they're okay and got follow up care and birth control. I also wonder who paid for the abortions, and who and how old the father's were. I hope none were victims of crimes against children in which the evidence (pregnancy) was easily taken care of so that the criminal wouldn't get caught, and the girls wouldn't get rescued.
    Anonymous

• In most states, a minor is considered to be an adult regarding all medical decisions related to a pregnancy, including an elective abortion.

Abortions should be safe, legal and rare

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It is a state to state thing, here in Alaska there is no parental consent laws, in other states there are. Planned parenthood has a tendency to push abortion on teens and scare them more than they already are, so this is not a surprise really. I think teens should be encouraged to talk to their parents first, but PP doesn't do that at all.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Good
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• The whole organization needs to be disbanded. Permanently.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• A CHILD cannot make that decision on her own. Being able to just abort a baby without anyone knowing isn't teaching her the right birth control habits or responsibility for her actions.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2010