Obama’s bipartisanship call really a demand for the GOP surrender?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02/09/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6191815.shtml

Mr. Obama said he “won’t hesitate to embrace a good idea from my friends in the minority party.” But he wants his way. He wants his energy policy enacted along with his jobs bill, his financial regulatory reform and his health care plan.
And if the opposition continues to block his objectives, he said he “won’t hesitate to condemn what I consider to be obstinacy that’s rooted not in substantive disagreement but in political expedience.”
When a sitting president calls for bipartisanship by the opposition – he really means surrender. And if they block his proposals, its “obstinacy” and not political views they hold as strongly as he holds his.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he has a point... Personally, I believe if the man came up with a cure for cancer, the GOP would oppose making it available to the public, just because it came from him. They're acting like spoiled brats.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• He is a brat they are brats it is all out of control they need to remember who the hell they really work for, and that is us. Mr idiot president needs to get off his rock star high horse, and the rest of them dems included need to quit throwing tantrums and start doing what WE want them to do instead of what best serves them.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• To clarify, I think the GOP is a bunch of spoiled brats, NOT the President or the Democratic party. If the GOP was truly interested in working together, they would try to reach a compromise instead of just crying "no no no" and throwing hissy fits in response to EVERYTHING he suggests.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

•  Dems were in the CLEAR majority to get all this liberal special interest sh*t passed. Why haven'tthey passed health care? Why do they continue to blame the GOP?  Democrats are their OWN enemy at this point.  Obama yet again thinkis he can give another campaign style lecture to the GOP and the American people will support him. The American people (especially independent voters) are waking up..  At this point in the game it's about ACTION for the American People. Not liberal special interest groups and backroom deals!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I'm sure he doesn't see it that way ... but then he has said on a couple of occasions that the reason citizens have so mightily rejected the health care bills was because he had not explained it to us clearly enough.

(It couldn't POSSIBLY be that there was anything WRONG with the bills ... or that the citizenry could ACTUALLY have different values than the Progressives who wrote the bills.)

So, Obama is possibly actually thinking that the GOP just needs to be more cooperative and everything will be fine. ( "Fine" being defined as "going the way he and his circle wants")
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yes..not to mention the majority of the Americans arent all that interested in his far lefty policies esp ones loaded with special interest bs.I hate to break the news flash here but Americans are saying NO

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• It's like this, the GOP is doing what we the people want. The problem is that we the people just don't know what we need, or what we should be doing, because he hasn't explained it to us as well as he should have. So, the pres just has to get the GOP to understand that WE don't understand and that it will be OK if they give in to O, because HE knows best, after all. Let's not mention how he had a supermajority for over a year, and the dems could have done what ever they felt like doing with out one single vote from the GOP. And, let's not get into how O's new budget assumes that these bills WILL be passed.

I HOPE THE GOP KEEPS ON SAYING NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Most of the US is saying NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to this healthcare. I hope the GOP continues to say NO
    Anonymous

• Yeah, he has a point. If 'pubs want to contribute, they need to do so. MOST of the country agrees that there needs to be something done about reigning in the cost of health care. Granted, most people do not support the current bills, but since most of the country agrees that something needs to be done, why aren't they contributing anything? (Don't give me their list of supposed reforms, I'm talking about an actual bill.) It has been proven that Republicans are blocking ANY legislation just or political reasons. When you are forced to come up with 60% on every vote, and the 'pubs will not break ranks to even consider passing anything, you get a standoff. It is frustrating that posturing is getting in the way of any changes.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

I think you have the hissy fit throwing backwards, it sounds like Obama is throwing a hissy fit. Maybe he should stop lecturing , and trying to blame everyone, including the AMERICAN people. Instead of the fact that the bill they are trying to pass/write is CRAP...
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2010