Is it ok to sleep on your back? I sleep on my side most of the time, but I wasn't sure if this was ok.

I am 5 and a half months.

Katina23

Asked by Katina23 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I do it too it will get uncomfortable soon so you wont. I put a bunch of cushions and pillows behind me to prop me up so it isn't an issue.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i cant breathe laying on my back, besides it does cut off some circulation to the baby
    Anonymous

• Your body will tell you when to stop sleeping on your back, trust me! It will become very uncomfortable and you'll find yourself having trouble breathing.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 7:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think I have read that you should not ever lie on your back. During my first and second pregnancies it was impossible for me to do so because it was so uncomfortable. However, with my current pregnancy (6 months along), I find myself sleeping on my back sometimes..............I hope I'm not hurting my baby!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My doc told me it is an urban legend. She said, if your abdominal aorta was really being crushed and your baby was really lacking oxygen, then your legs would be numb and you'd be gasping for air yourself.

Sleep how ever you can get girl!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You can sleep on your back all the way through your pregnancy unless you are A. uncomfortable or B having trouble breathing. Other then that it is perfectly fine
    Anonymous

• Anon:04 said it perfectly.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2010