i am 7 months pregnant and would very much like to get my two and a half year old daughter to stop using the binky at night. suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take it away cold turkey. is what i did this past december.(dd was 33 mts) it was 3 nights of hell but after that she never asked for it again.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I am also trying to take my 11 month olds. I would love for him to be rid of it when he turns one...I am gonna wait and see what other people tell you and maybe it will help me with my son too.
    Anonymous

• Just chuck it!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• that's tough. I guess that's why i never did them. My kids really weren't ever interested. Anyway... I agree with the cold turkey thing. It doesn't seem like something you can ween off of.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Well I'm in the same kind of situation but my son is only a year and a half old but I'd suggest waiting until AFTER the new baby arrives and things settle down. Because your child is probably going to want to regress anyways which would mean that they'd steal the new babies pacifier anyways, and most child psychologists don't recommend making any major changes in a toddlers life during the second half of your pregnancy. How ever if you insist on taking it away you can rectrict it to a bed time and nap time thing only for a week or two and then to a bedtime thing only, and then you'd take it away all together because going cold turkey will be hell on you while you're pregnant and you need your rest.
    Anonymous

• my ds is 11 mts. and he isnt as attached as my dd was so around 18 mts am gonna start wenaing him slowly so by2 hisoff
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I told my son that he was not a baby and that he was a big boy. When he agreed I explained to him that binkies are for babies and had him throw them away. I thought for sure the first night was going to be aweful. I sat on the couch thinking "I'm only letting him cry for 10 minutes then I'll rock him to sleep if I have to" After 8 he was sleeping and it got easier each night. Every time he would ask for it I would ask him "Are you a baby?" He would say "Big boy" and I would remind him that big boys like daddy do not have binkies. He has been 4 months with out it now :)
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Thank the Lord my son never took to a pacifier OR his thumb/fingers. Just throw it away. Outta sight, outta mind.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• trade it for a nice new toy, tell her that big girls dont use them and she may pick one toy if she throws it away. im having trouble with the bottles right now but mines only 14 months so it wouldnt work on her lucky the binkey things was short lived here
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2010