Discipline

I have a 14 month old baby and as a new mom I am at a complete loss on what to do for discipline. He has started throwing fits and screeching really loud randomly. I don't know how to get him to stop. Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• be gentle loving and consistant. he is 14 months, you dont "discipline" a 14 month old. you correct and redirect
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• At that age I would try to look into more of what is causing the fits. Is he getting enough sleep? How about becoming more verbal? Sometimes around that age kids get very frustrated when they are unable to communicate what they want. Be careful with disciplining just for a fit at that age, usually there is more behind it.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• OP here. Thank you Mama's. I'm pregnant again and I am trying to be as patient as possible but I'm so tired. I work FT and DH stays home with him. He is the one that gets the most impatient. with him. My mom has been trying to shove discipline on me. I only used that term for lack of a better one. She thinks that I should spank him. I think he is way too young for that and I don't want to spank anyway. I think sleep may be an underlying issue. He keeps waking up multiple times a night and won't go back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• When my oldest (18 months today) started this behavior, and getting into things he knew he shouldn't be in (when I was feeding the new baby), I started to smack his hand. It didnt' take long for him to smack back or hit himself when told no. When he started the all out screaming and throwing himself on the floor and such, I put him in the play pen for a minute or 2....walked away from him and just said No Screaming or No whatever he was doing and that was that. Some days are better than others. But if a baby understands you, and they do, simply by paying attention to their advances. For instance if I can say "Go throw this in the garbage" and "Give your brother a kiss goodnight" or "Are you ready for bed", and he gets his blanket, they can certainly understand to some degree their behavior is not acceptable. I tell him when I get him out of the playpen when he is done crying that screaming is no appropriate too.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I put mine in the corner. They throw fits because they want attention. 1 minute inthe corner with no attention at all kills them. I was so shoked when it worked for mine. You just have to make sure that if he gets up you put him back in whith out talking to him. If you say anything while in time out, he then is getting the attention he wants. Each time he gets up, you gotta start the clock over again. It is hard at fist because mine would get up and laugh and run away. I would chase him down and put him back in. It took about 3 days and he figured out real quick that if he wanted to play he better just do his time out and get it over. Now he is 2 and I get a "Sorry mommy" as soon as time out is over and a big hug. If he is acting up most of the time all I have to do is mention a time out and he calms right down. He's more well behaved than most of the kids I know, especailly the ones that get spanked.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2010