daycare?

I have a 2 and a half year old and a 7 month old. Both my baby girls. I have to start work as we need the extra money. I have been a stay at home mom since my oldest was born. I go to school for a couple of hours on sat and sun but my husband takes care of them and I'm not gone long. I know have the dreaded need to put them in daycare I have no choice. I was wondering for all the daycare mommys do you like a facility or a home daycare better? And what factors determined which one you would use? They only have to be in daycare 3 days a week about 4 hours a day. I hate the feeling of leaving them but again I have no choice and I was wondering what you prefered between the two a facility or a at home daycare? Thanks!

Arianna0825

Asked by Arianna0825 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had my first child in both a home and a facility, both for short amounts of time...because once I had 2 babies, it just doesn't pay to work. But there are pros and cons to consider for both. At home day care has no monitoring, so you have to have a little bit more trust. Where as at a facility there is monitoring. In an at home one there may be children of various ages, which can be good and bad too. While there are probably less children too. At a facility they are in age groups and do activities that are age appropriate. If I didn't know the home provider well, I would send to a facility, but that's my opinion. Good luck, I feel for you!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I definitely preferred a licensed home daycare.
    Anonymous

• This really depends...the numbers, state laws, regulations on home care....CAMERAS!!!! It really depends on how you feel about the provider. You couldl find a older woman who just needs to suppliment her income and your two would be her only children, if you had a good vibe from her then i would run with that type of situation!! Definitely make out a list and check on multiple places. Check in at all different times, and never be afriad to ask questions! My son is in a facility because I couldnt find a home daycare in my area that was even worth walking into! However, Im trying my hardest to change my work hours, or my SOs work hours to get him out of daycare!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I perfer day care centers. I like that there are multiple teachers so if one is sick there is coverage. The teachers have continuing ed. requirements beyond what the state requires (well, my center does.) and has more structure. The kids are by age so there's no 2 year old climbing on the babies or no 6 year old playing rough with the 2 year old.

Home centers are nice becuase there are less kids so it's more personal care and the medicial policies tend to be more lenient.

The biggest problem you will find with a day care center is that they tend to be full time only. So if you are only using them 3 day a week, they would still charge the full time rate. I have heard of only a handful where I am that allow part time rates.

Good luck! And try not to worry too much. Most kids enjoy day care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2010