Buy Breastpump before or after baby is born???

So I only have 5 1/2 weeks left till my little boy is due, I am planning on only breastfeeding and need to know if I should buy a pump now or wait until after the baby is born. I am planning on ordering 1 online because I live an hour away from anywhere that has them. What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're only breastfeeding, you don't really NEED a pump. If you want one, think about what you'll use it for to help you decide which one to get.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• You shouldn't start using a pump until you've been successfully bfng for 4-6 weeks, so I would wait. If you are super committed, you will most definitely need the pump, but again, no rush.... good luck! You can do it!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• honestly, I say screw the pump and just do manual expressing! I learned how to do that when my pump broke and I needed to pump ASAP! You get more with manual expressing than you will with any pump on the market!
    Anonymous

• I don't understand what the difference is between buying it now or after...? Are you asking if we think you'll need it right away? If so, I had a pump when my dd was born (I was lucky enough to have a friend who lent it to me) and I don't think I pumped for the first few weeks because I had a c-section and didn't go anywhere or have any reason to pump....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I think you should get one b 4 you have the baby. I dont mean to scare you but your boobs are going to get engorge & thats going to hurt thats when you might need the pump. Its going to hurt less w/the pump than with the baby. If this is ur first baby you should get it. Also if ur nipples get sore you can give them a break by pumping the one breast that hurt more. That happend to me on my 1st day at home & I didnt have a breastpump hubby had to rush to Target & get one for me.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• i didnt need the pump for at least 2 weeks... that was when i started producing more then my baby was consuming during certain time frames and I got really backed up. Plus my baby had a hard time from the get go with nursing. It was really hard and painful for me b/c of how he was doing and he ended up giving up or falling asleep before getting full. so i'd pump it for later.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 9:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Either way. If you're staying home, you can save your money entirely, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2010