What do you think of people that

assume your child is in any other type of schooling besides public schooling because you're stuck up?

Why do people assume that parents have their children in different classroom settings because of social status?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• sorry lost me.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i dont think that way about private schooling or any other "different" setting schools. I actually would like my Son to attend a local private Christian based school. Not b/c I feel he is better then other people. But the schools in our area arent the best and I would like him in a Christian setting. I have experienced what goes on in the public school that our house school zone is in, b/c it was my highschool growing up. It just depends. Kids in different schooling might need special attention, or it might be about religion, or school zone locations, etc Not about social levels.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 9:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Why do people who are aware enough to realize people think they are stuck up not do something to change that perception unless you actually LIKE being stuck up?
    Anonymous

• also, b/c alternative schooling is more expensive... I think its looked at, as being for the ricky rich kids. etc And yes it is rather expensive. But so what if you choose to pay that extra money. Its all about what you had rather your child be in. And what you are willing to do in the process. And just b/c some one is in a private school doesnt mean they are rich. Their parents might be working their butts off to pay for that school
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 9:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• "Why do people who are aware enough to realize people think they are stuck up not do something to change that perception unless you actually LIKE being stuck up? "

The ones that think people choose a certain type of schooling for their children because of social status are the ones with the flawed perception. Why would they have to change the minds of people that refuse change their perception?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Honestly, I don't know. I've never thought of them as stuck up. There are some educational choices that are made that aren't for me, and some that I honestly don't understand how some parents choose it, but I don't judge them for it. I accept that apparently for them, this is the right choice, or that they might not have a choice, that there are circumstances that I'm not aware of (and that aren't any of my business...)

That they're stuck up isn't anything that I've ever linked to their educational choices. Now, that's not to say that I haven't met some stuck up people who didn't have their kids in public schools/ hadn't attended public schools. BUT - my reasons for thinking they were stuck up wasn't because of school choice. It was because of lifestyle and attitude choices that they made, and comments about others that they made.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You might do better with this Q in the school aged kids section?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I think it goes back to the idea of the "better off" or "upper class" parents sending their children to boarding school... The more money they had the better the school, it was a status symbol a lot of the times... Being you have to pay for most private schools, it's the same idea. Personally, I have the money to send my kids to one, but never would. To me the idea of Private School is completely UnAmerican!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• primarily, because those who can't afford 'alternative' schooling, look to the 'priviledged' as being better than they. sure, most of the time, its a self-perception..sometimes, it is totally true about the priviledged parent(s)...they can/do look down on public schooling...THAT may come from their own skewed self-perception.
    who knows, really? all in all, i don't think the average parent (whether they are upper class or any class) gives two shakes about it either way. but that's MY perception of the subject. snobbery (and the opposite character) is no respector of class-priviledge, up or down.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If there was a private school around here besides the Christian academy I'd look into sending my DD to it. Public school is so crowded. Unfortunately Private schools cost the parents $ so therefore its seen as a status symbol for the more wealthy. Nowadays there is financial aide and grants available to parents who want to enroll their kids in private school. But there doesn't seem to be many non-secular private schools around.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2010