Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

black mold

My boyfriend and I just moved into an apartment and underneath the kitchen sink and bathroom sink where the wood is it's a light black color and the wood is eaten. Now I'm pregnant and we have a daughter who is almost two, def. don't need to be in that kind of environment.. How long living here would it start to affect us? (symptom- way) I mean do you think we could last another month without getting too sick? I sure hope we can get our money back- it's a YEAR lease..

Answer Question
 
Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Health

Level 5 (79 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Check the renter's rights laws in your area. Your landlord may be required to clean it up safely and professionally. If this happens to be the case and the mold is cleaned up, make sure that it doesn't begin to grow back. Also watch for it in other areas as it can spread and rapidly. If the mold continues to be a problem perhaps their will not be a problem with the breaking of the lease. Check your renter's rights for that as well.
    NikkiMomof2grls

    Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • I had black mold for several months before the landlord fixed it. It took a couple of months for me to have the watery eyes and runny nose that the mold caused. I've had physicals since then and the doctor said there was no long term damage.
    admckenzie

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Yeah the landlord has to replace the molded material and fix the leak that caused the mold
    admckenzie

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • You can a special cleaner at Lowe's or Home Depot by a company called Zep. Spray it on the mold and watch it disappear. Black mold is dangerous. I would call the landlord but in the mean time get the cleaner asap. It's for mold and mildew. A blue bottle.
    MLM0503

    Answer by MLM0503 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • You can *get
    MLM0503

    Answer by MLM0503 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Call the office and just have them check it out.
    txdaniella

    Answer by txdaniella at 10:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • Clean it with bleach but check w/ landlord to make sure it's not in the wallboard, etc.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • DO NOT use bleach. Bleach will cause the spores to rapidly release into the air and spread it around. Bleach does not kill or remove mold well. Check the EPA guidelines for mold removal.

    Some people will have mold allergy symptoms within minutes of exposure. Everyone reacts differently to allergens. If you have a family history of asthma or peanut allergy-- stay away.

    Your landlord MUST fix this. Mold is grounds for homes to lose their certificate of occupancy. Each state has different laws about tenants' rights. I would suggest a discounted rate until the mold is fixed. Get it in writing. If the problem goes beyond 60 days, I would def try to get out of the lease.
    ecodani

    Answer by ecodani at 11:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

  • I would talk to your doctor and ur landlord, and as pp zep is awesome no question about it. tell the landlord and if they wont do anything about it talk to your doctor and see.
    miss_nevin

    Answer by miss_nevin at 2:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.