Do you have close friends that don't make the same general amount of money as you? If so, is it ever an issue? Why or why not?

Just curious and just for fun. My hubby works in a low(er) paying IT job and while talking with a new friend the subject of our guys occupation come up. Turns out he's an aeronautical engineer... or whatever, lol. Kinda felt a little weird after that. Any similar stories... or has anything like that ever affected you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What felt weird?
    Anonymous

• yup - I can't afford to go out and do a lot of things with them most of the time
    sux
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• My son goes to a really expensive private school and I don't host playdates at our house or invite kids overnight because i am embarrassed my house is so small and messy.
    Anonymous

• ummm well kinda. but we are the youngest out of everyone, and also by best friend and her fiance dont have kids... so they can work as much as they want to they have more money and a nicer house and stuff... so i guess i wish that we had more money sometimes... but at the same time it is humbling. we do the best with what we have. our place is clean and looks cute... but def an older house etc.
    we dont have new cars... nor can we afford it at the moment.
    so hte only "issue" is that sometimes i feel bad about myself or whatever... but i get over it. i wouldnt trade my life with any of the people i know.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I actually really seldom discuss what we make vs what friends make. In general, I think most of us are in the same ballpark as far as money goes. However, I am really close to my cousin's family and I know that they have a lot more money than we do, and fewer worries as far as the future goes due to money in his wife's family. It really doesn't affect the friendship though, except that I sometimes wish that I could afford to do some of the fun things that they do- they go on far more vacations, trips, outings, and so forth because the budget isn't as tight for them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• All of our friends own their own business like us, except for one and he has a really good job with the railroad. All the people we are friends with can afford to take the vacation we like to take, weekend trips we sometimes like to go on and the wives can afford to shop at the stores that I like. We do not usually have friends that do not have lifestyles like we do, we have found it is uncomfortable for both parties or that they want to borrow money.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have had ffriends who make more than we do, as much as we do and less than we do and it's never affected how our friendships are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2010