When, if ever, do you think it is okay to tell a lie?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• protecting a close loved one.
    Anonymous

• When ppl ask you for favors that you don't think are appropriate and for the sake of arguing you lie and make up an excuse. Lol
    Anonymous

• I think its okay to lie if you are sparing someone's feelings or the lie is meant to make someone feel good. Like if someone asks you if they look fat, and they really do, but you say that they look great! I think then its okay. Or if you pretend to like someone even if you really don't.
    Anonymous

• I feel bad for doing this but i lie when someone has me for dinner and asks how's the food in my mind im saying (yuckie)but out loud i say its wonderful!!!
    -KenzieTaylor-

Answer by -KenzieTaylor- at 10:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Yeah when someone asks you if they look fat...or cooks a meal for you that you don't like..or gives you a gift that you hate..things like that...I think God forgives those lies ;)
    Anonymous

• If someone's life is at stake. Other wise, keep it 100.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:35 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• i lie when i protect myself from getting into trouble
    Anonymous

• I agree with most of these. Usually to spare someone's feelings or to get out of something/function/invitation that I really don't want to attend.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• it is rarely ok to tell a lie
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• I lie whenever I want to.

I don't tend to want to... in most of these circumstances suggested I have found other effective ways of dealing with people. I happily evade questions I don't want to answer, ask people if they really want the answer to invitations to insult them, politely decline invitations without any excuse or reason (or something vague like 'oh, no, that won't work for me...' without adding why), and if they get rude and press it I tend to get rude back or change the subject or walk away...

I also get a fair amount of glee from answering invitations to insult completely honestly --yes, that skirt does make you look frumpy, but did you need me to agree with you before you believed it? Ha ha!

I've been approached by a couple of people over the years that I felt were probably predators, and those folks I happily lie to, anytime I want.

Ditto the incredibly rude strangers who aggressively ask personal questions.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:42 PM on Feb. 10, 2010