Getting a Job with the CDC?

My DH is graduating this coming May with a degree in Biomedical Sciences. He's very interested in working for the Center for Disease Control. Does anyone have any tips on how to make yourself stand out when applying for a government position or specifically the CDC? And, the jobs he's looking at call for travel 40% of the time. Do they actually have their employee's travel as much as advertised in the job openings or is that just a max? (I'm nervous about moving away from our friends and family and them having my DH gone all the time.)

Just in general, I'd like any tips or advice about working for the CDC.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• The CDC in Atlanta?

Do anything else. You do not want to live in the city there. The schools are terrible. The commute if you live in a good school district will be at least 90 minutes for him. The cost of living in the area where the CDC is located is ridiculous.

And the part about travel-- yes. I have a friend who works there. They send her away for 6 days in a row every month at least. Very hard on the family. She's gone for a few weeks at a time in the summer so she sends her kids off to "camp grandma" since she is gone so long.

Look for a job with Siemens or Wyeth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My dh looked in the CDC and the FDA as well. He decided it against it after a while, simply because we would have had to move to Atlanta (for CDC) or Washington (for FDA) so he's working for a local pharmaceutical company. We live in an area that has tons of pharma companies so it wasn't that hard for him to get hired on.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Is there anyone in his Linkedin network connected with the CDC? What about a connection through a professor?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2010