How do you get your child to wear glasses if they absolutly refuse?

My daughter is in Kindergarten and needs them to see, but refuses to wear them.

soccermama-3

Asked by soccermama-3 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is it a fashion thing or a comfort thing? Do they bother her face or is she worried she will be made fun of?

If it's vanity, show her images of famous people who wear glasses and how hip they look. Does she have an older cousin she admires to tell her how pretty she looks in them? Can you get her more than 1 pair so she can be fashionable and match her outfits?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2010

• Umm why do they have a choice?
    Anonymous

• anon - because it's their face!!!!

I needed glasses at 5. I felt freakish and the glare gave me headaches and I was miserable. Between 1st and 4th grade my Mom estimates she spent $1500 on glasses because I'd fake lose them, snap them in half, leave them on the bus, pay older kids candy to get rid of them for me, etc etc etc

My theory is that u need to be old enough to understand their benefits (in my case, about age 9 1/2) outweigh the downsides.

the exception I guess would be kids that need them from infancy/toddler age and consider the glasses an extension of themselves instead of an invasion
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My personal suggestion would be a reward system that specifically has vision in mind. IE wear them every day as needed for ___ blank days and go see Alice in wonderland in 3D or the planetarium or whateverr
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Anon, because duct-taping stuff to a kid's face is seen as abuse.

I wish I knew what to tell ya. When I got mine in kindergarten, I was STOKED, and everyone thought they were SO cool.

When I first started wearing my glasses as an adult, it was really weird seeing through them, and uncomfortable. I'd have to take them off just to rub my face and nose every now and then. Maybe you can compromise with glasses-free time, so she doesn't feel like a prisoner in them? At home, wear them for an hour, remove them for five minutes, etc. At school, she can take them off for lunch and recess until she gets used to them, etc. Think that'd work?
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 1:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• all three of my kids wear glasses and started at age 5 wearing them, my youngest just got hers a few months ago. I have been lucky that they all wear them with no problems and are very good about cleaning and keeping track of them.

My advice is to let them pick their own frames, even if you would prefer something different they need to like what they are wearing and your going ot have to get a new pair next year or the year after anyhow when their script changes as they grow. I tried to make the whole idea of glasses fun for my kids, and luckily they all realized htey could actually see when they put them on lol. My daughter has several friends who also got glasses at around the same time.

If they are uncomfortable take her back and have the frames adjusted, you dont always get a good fit on the first try and most eye centers wont charge you for minor adjustments, we do it all the time.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• we have to make my SS. we always tell him how handsome he looks with them. we made sure that his teacher knew he HAS to wear them. sadly his mom is the one who makes it hard. we told him and his sister that if they lost or broke them, they would be responsible for them. BM doesnt have follow through, but SO and I will not pay for either child to replace the glasses if they lose them or break them. if it was up to us, they would pay for them.

maybe explain that if she can prove that she can take care of her glasses and wear them like she is suppose to when she is a little older she will be able to get contacts, as long as that would be an option.....dont want to lie.

also, its not a choice. we dont run into too much trouble. it may be his face, but it is also to help him learn and succeed. Getting him use to wearing glasses now is important so he can do well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Did she get to pick them out? Maybe they just aren't comfortable or they are hurting her eyes.
    My 7yo just got new glasses in January and cried and cried and didn't want to wear them the first week because the new prescription gave her headaches. I kept telling her she just had to get used to them and, in time, she would be able to see again with them on (been there and done that--I've worn glasses since I was 9). We let her wander around the house without them but insisted she wear them to school. A week later she said she loved her new glasses. But, she's been wearing glasses since she was 18 months old. She doesn't know any different and needs them to read and see up close so she HAS to wear them to school, it's not a choice for her.
    If they are hurting her eyes or giving her a headache I would take her back to the doctor to reevaluate her prescription.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I got glasses when I was 10 and wouldn't wear them due to vanity. I would take them to school and put them on when I needed to see something then take them right off. I didn't realize until I was in highschool and my parents got me contacts just how much I had been missing!
    My 10 year old son has glasses that he got 2 years ago and he doesn't wear them all the time, because the opthalmologist recommend he not - he has a very slight prescription and the Dr said he didn't want my son's eyes to grow to depend on the glasses. So he keeps them in his desk at school and puts them on when he's there. Maybe your daughter will wear them if you make a deal that she only has to wear them at school?

Answer by missanc at 8:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2010