So when did y'all know it was "time" to go to the Dr/hospital/birthing center etc?

When your water broke? Or before. I've been reading up and heard there are different stages of pregnancy and how do you know how many cm you're dialted if you're at home and not at the Doctor's how can you figure it out yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i was told to stay at home as long as you can talk through contractions.....after that point you need to get to the hospital....or if your water breaks then you need to go asap
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my water didnt break till i had been at the hospital a WHILE. i walked at home for hours before deciding it was time. when the contractions were becoming PAINFUL i said YUP lets go
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There's no need to rush to the hospital when labor starts, or even if your water breaks, UNLESS their is meconium in the fluid. As long as nothing goes in the vagina after the water breaks (including vaginal exams by drs/nurses!) there is very very minimal risk of infection. I personally wouldn't go to the hospital until contractions are at too intense to talk through, and occur every 5 minutes or less. As soon as you show up at the hospital, the clock starts ticking towards interventions and possible c sections. Might as well stay home if you can handle it and avoid unnecessary measures. Dilation means nothing until you are in active labor, so don't worry about that. You don't need to be checked at all, your body will tell you when it's ready to push. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I absolutely agree with the anonymous PP! If things had been different for me I would have stayed home until I couldn't handle the contractions anymore (I had high blood pressure and was induced all three times). Your body will tell you everything you need to know as long as you are listening to what is says! =)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I stayed home until my contractions were 3 minutes apart for over an hour. And I definitly wasn't able to talk through them, haha. I was dilated to a 5 when I reached the hospital and little baby boy was born 5 hrs later.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Stay home as long as possible.

A good rule of thumb is to go when your contractions are 311 if it's your first baby and 411 if it's your second baby. 3 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute long for 1 hour. The reason you want to go 411 if this is a subsaquent pregnancy is because they tend to move faster than first time moms.

Another thing you might use to judge when it's time to go is when you can no longer walk, talk or function during contractions. When the pain becomes to much to bare it's a good sign that it's time to go but if your using something like Hypnobabies using pain a way of judging when to go is a bad idea because you will likely be in less pain if any at all when using a birthing technique like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• With DS my water broke right after I stood up from using the bathroom. That was my sign. I knew that it was time to go, because you shouldn't ever wait after your water breaks.

With DD I thought my water broke, but it turns out that it hadn't. When I got to the hospital though I was having consistant enough contractions that they suggested I stay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Usually wait until the contractions are close together, regular, intensifying.
    Things like pain and water breaking are not indications of labor, necessarily. You water may never break! Or it could weeks before labor starts.
    You could be in regular labor for several days before it's Time...
    There are a lot of answers here, you can read and take classes.
    Consider a birth doula to be with you, too. She will really be helpful to know when to go and she'll help you through the entire thing!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• "because you shouldn't ever wait after your water breaks"

This isn't realistic. ROM *can* be urgent, but not necessarily. Water breaking is not an emergency in itself.
    Best to know what you're doing/looking for, though. If you are at term when it breaks and not contracting, it is usually safe(r) to wait for labor to begin. (Fortunately that usually happens within a reasonable time.)

I had to wait over a week, myself, gushing and soggy, lol. I don't hold any record for PROM. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I stayed home as long as I could handle my contractions. I had been bleeding for 2 days and having bad contractions. I called the night before I had my DD and they said to wait it out as long as possible but they knew I'd be in by the next day. I took a shower, went to bed and woke up at 4 am with crushing pelvic pain and increased bleeding. 8 am, I was in the hospital and had my DD at 4:57pm.
    My water didn't break until an hour before I had her.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2010