Will primer cover ketchup red paint????

I made a stupid, stupid choice of "trying" one of the leftover paints when we bought our house. I thought it was going to be a more pastel color... LOL yeah right. I looks like someone was gutted on my wall.

Anyhow, how in the world do I cover this hideous color now that the damage is done???

wolfmomma30

Asked by wolfmomma30 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Kilz primer should do it, just make sure you are in a well ventilated are,cause it stinks really badly. I had my walls in my old bedroom fire engine red and was able to cover them in a light blue with just 2 coats of 1 coat paint, and it smelled much better and worked just the same and was cheaper.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I second Kilz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I say if your using spendy paint go to lows or home depot and get a cheap paint tinted to the color you are changing to. and put that over ANY kind of primer...and guess what now you only need one coat of the spendy paint to get the color you want.

Just got done paint my entire down stairs of my house and this is what my mother - in law and I did it saved us hundreds on paint.
    Cannons-Mom

Answer by Cannons-Mom at 1:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There are primers made for red colors, because they are notoriously difficult to cover....such as 5 or 6 coats of paint. But primer made for dark colors, including red, are a medium grey color. I'm sure when you go to the hardware store you can ask someone from the paint department to show you the best option. We had a dark raspberry color that we used the grey primer to cover and it did cover it....those walls are now a pale yellow
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010