baby won't stop crying!!!!!!

Help! My 2 and 1/2 month old son cries almost every time he is not being held. My husband and I will go through the checklist: fed, burped, changed, cuddled, etc. He has been having issues with constipation and thick poop, but we've tried suppositories, Karo syrup in bottle, and he drinks milk-free formula. He doesn't build up to a cry, he just starts into all out screaming within a minute or two of setting him down on his back, and it doesn't matter what the surface is. Usually the only thing that helps is holding him and walking around. But my husband and I have work to do and simply cannot hold him 24/7. We've even tried the cry it out method, which worked for our daughter when she was a baby, but he just doesn't stop. We even let him cry for an hour and all he did was blow his vocal chords out, he never wore out and fell asleep. Is he a special needs baby and what can I do for him without making myself go crazy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honey you CANNOT CIO a 2 and a half month old. it doesnt work. have you talked to the ped about colic? there might be nothing you can do but wait till this eases. you said special needs? can i ask what type?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• gripe water worked wonders for me!
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 1:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP here:
    yeah the dr. said it's likely to be colic. we've tried gripe water and that doesn't help him much either. :(
    He's physically healthy, he's been to two well-baby check-ups and responds to all stimuli, is completely healthy. I've just heard of needy babies that require a lot more time and attention than most babies, so that's why i asked.
    for example: tonight i cuddled him in my arms, and he eventually drifted peacefully off to sleep. i continued to hold him until i could hear the rythym of his breathing slow and could feel his body completely relax, and I held him for several minutes after that happened. the moment I set him in his bassinet (very very slowly and gently, just like I did for his sister as a baby) his eyes opened, and the fussing began again. he hasn't stopped since. it's like he's got extra sensory and always knows, even while sleeping, when he's not being held.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Wear him in a sling or wrap! He sounds like a "high needs" baby who just needs a lot more body contact than average. A sling or wrap will give him the physical contactnhe needs and leave your hands free to do what needs to be done.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP again:
    he does like being held in the baby carrier, unfortunately, it really hurts my back to work and wear him at the same time. i guess i could try it again.... but not looking forward to the pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• umm at this point I would do almost anything to sleep even if i had to put him in a wrap or sling with just a bra on and put a large button up shirt over the both of you and if need be sleep in a recliner with him strapped to you. just make sure he has room to breath. Plus as mothers we will always have pain sorry you 9 mos arnt over with this momms boy. he wants skin to skin contact as mich as possible... + side I hear babies who are dependant on momma gorw to be strong indepenant children and men.
    Cannons-Mom

Answer by Cannons-Mom at 1:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Has your doctor looked into reflux? My son would scream bloody murder if laid down especially on his back at that age. He was diagnosed w/ reflux at 4 weeks. At first we thought his screaming was colic, but he wasn't pulling up his legs or having gas issues, he was arching his back severely and that was the sign to us and our pedi that it was NOT colic.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP
    hehe, yes i can't stop thinking, "i already gave my 9 months, i'm ready to move on!"
    as hopeful as that sounds cannons-mom, i'm just not that thrilled about sharing the bed with him anymore (nor is my husband). my daughter always slept in her crib, from day 1. and she slept through the night by the time she was 1 month old. i'm worried that my son will get used to co-sleeping, and that it will be a greater struggle to get him to sleep in his own bed down the road.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP
    yes we've considered reflux as well, although he doesn't spit up frequently. my son will arch his back too. before i switched to formula i was nursing exclusively, and had to pull dairy and wheat products from my diet. it kinda worked, but he still never seemed satisfied no matter how frequently i ate and nursed, and would still cry as if in pain, even if he was held. when we switched to formula (similac) he seemed a lot more content. because it was too expensive to keep up my diet and buy formula, we've made the permanent switch to formula and i've ceased nursing. i just want to know what my baby needs, i'm sick of the guessing game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• sometimes when holding him i'll change position, or brush a hand or finger across his skin, and he'll cry. i feel like i'm having to take care of an eggshell. a fussy eggshell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2010