constant throat clearing and nose sniffing---allergies? Tourette's?

A few weeks ago, ds (4) was clearing his throat all the time. Nothing was wrong with him, he just kept doing it. So that eventually stopped, we had a week or so of nothing, and now for the past few days he has been sniffing. His nose isn't runny, no signs of a cold or illness. I was thinking it might be allergies, but tonight my sister mentioned Tourette's, and now I'm worried. Anyone ever experience this with your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My brother had done the exact same thing when he was around 5 or 6 yrs old. He also went through a phase of saying excuse me under his breath ALL the time. He also later (and still does today) have excessive hand washing. He has OCD. I have OCS which is a less severe form of OCD. I think it sounds more like OCD than Tourette's.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP here.
    Thanks for answering, chelleybeans. We have wondered before if he had OCD. .........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• YW! The best thing to do with OCD is to identify it early on so that they can be helped early on.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2010