Is it necessary to eat only organic foods while pregnant?

It's kind of expensive and it's hard to find some of the things we eat in organic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No it is not, if your really worried about it find a farmers market in your area. You dont have to eat organic while pregnant, I never did, I didnt start eating organic till after i had my kids.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No, it isn't necessary. I didn't go "all organic" with any of my children (and I have 6) - They all turned out happy and healthy.
    There isn't much of a difference in, say, Banana's - the skin is so thick it keeps out most of the "bad stuff" anyway. Grapes, however, have a very thin skin; so it would be better to buy organic grapes. The thicker the skin, the saver it is to buy "regular" fruits or vegetables.
    The more important thing to stay away from while pregnant (in my opinion) would be the additives and preservatives.
    Drink water, take your vitamins, and eat healthy - that's about the best you can do for yourself and your baby.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 1:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Not at all necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• LOL errr no, who told you that? the placenta will protect the baby from TONS and aTONS of thing. you dont have to eat all organic. never heard that one before
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• good lord NO! if you can't afford it then don't do it.

that being said - you need to make the HEALTHIEST choices - whether fresh, frozen or when you can afford it organic.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• "The placenta is no Brita. It doesn't necessarily screen out the bad and only let the good pass through. The placenta lets EVERYTHING through below a certain size and blocks insulin, heparin, and other large molecules that would otherwise cause immune rejection or other problems. (Some bigger substances, like immunoglobulins, can pass through by folding themselves into smaller shapes.) That means any toxins that make the size cut can get passed to the fetus, whether it's gunk from cigarettes, saturated and trans fats, alcohol or other nasty substances."

taken from: YOU: Having a Baby written by Michael F. Roizen, MD. & Mehmet C. Oz, MD. page 50
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 9:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2010