Rescue dachshund, help me please!!

My family and I recently adopted a stray standard dachshund, Adolphus. He just got fixed right before we adopted him. He is a good boy except he is in need of basic obedence. And he likes to "dominate" my daughter, Zoey. Adolphus will lay on Zoey, chew her toys when his are present, not let her play with him and his toys, and he has even snaped at her a couple of times when Zoey and I are palying and she is laughing. I need this "dominating" behavior to stop soon or I will be obligated to give him back to the pound.(Which I don't want to do, he has a heart condition so he will be put to sleep).

Thanks
Laura, Zoey and Adolphus
If anyone can shed some light on this behavior it would be appreciated, even tips on basic obedence for such a stubborn breed.

Batman003

Asked by Batman003 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I have a doxy but we have only had a "domination" issue when it comes to other people, and only when she senses something she dislikes about them (which isn't often). But I know my aunt and uncle used vinegar water on their dog for training and it really worked for them. Maybe give that a try?
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have two tips. One tip is taking the dog to obedience training, Pet Smart even has classes now and they are not too expensive. The second tip is when he is behaving badly, say out in a clear, firm voice.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I know when dogs are fighting you have to put them on their backs till they submit.. Maybe try then when he is doing all those things tell him bad boy if a firm voice and lay him on his back. You keep him there till he relaxes and doesn't look you in the eye.. When they look you in the eye that means they still are trying to be dominate.. Whey they cow down and don't look you in the eye that means you have won! I had problems with my dogs till I started doing that and they sure did get better... I hope you find out something that will help you... gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You need to assert who the pack leaders are now. I don't know how old your daughter is but she can help with this also unless she is like a year old. You should hand feed him a meal a day and have your daughter help feed him regularly the other meal. You should also have him sit and wait until you give the okay to eat. you and your daughter should always go through doorways before the dog teach him to sit and wait until you give the okay. If he is being possessive of his toys then they should be picked up immediately.He should not be allowed to have anything freely that he is being possessive of. You need to make him earn everything. If he wants a toy he must work for it. I would recommend that you get the book Mine! resource guarding in dogs by Jean donaldson (from Amazon.com or Dogwise). It sound like that is part of what is happening, it is a very normal dog behavior but it should not be ingnored.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 2. Adolphus is notdominate. He bellys up if you talk to load or walk up to him. Zoey know how to be dominate and she is. It is just the Adolphus is stubborn, typical dachshund behavior.
    How can I get the snaping to stop when we are trying to play with Zoey? And how do I get him to walk nicely on a leash, I do have an antipull harnis but that doesn't work to well.

Thanks
    Batman003

Answer by Batman003 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• The snapping at Zoey when you two are playing is apart of the resourse guarding. I would get that book i suggested. Doing the things I suggested is still a good idea because truly domanant or not it will help him see where his place in the pack is. I would get him into a traing class asap that will help you with these issues also I don't like harneses because they actually incourage pulling that is one reason they are used on sled dogs. I don't buy into the whole anti pull harness. You might try a gentle leader head halter( do not get a Halti) they do a great job teaching the dog to walk nicely on the leash. I don't like haltis because they don't fit the dog right and if the dog manages to get the nose peace off the whole thing come off. The gentle leader stay securely around the neck should the dog manage to ge the nose peace off.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Adolphus shuts down with a gentle leader. And I have had various trainer say he won't do good with one. He throw a tantrum with it on. So gentle leader is out of the question. And our vet says no coller type training devices.
    Batman003

Answer by Batman003 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• That is very normal i have worked with many dogs while using this tool and they all end up wearing it just fine as long as they were worked with and the people were consistant. It can take some dogs a little longer to adjust to it. I agree with you vet i don't like chokers or prongs on any dog. teaching a dog to walk nicely on a leash can take some time but if you are consistant it will happen. When i start working with dogs i will stay in my yard. Start by walking a short distance and when the dog gets out in front and the leash is tight stop and go in the oppisite direction. This will teach the dog to pay attention to where you are. You can also use treats to keep his attention. I like the clicker training method also so you might look into that because that is also an effective way to teach this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My MIL had(one just died) two dashhounds. The female always tried to snap at the kids. It got better over time but we did have to keep an eye on her. As for the male...he loves stuffed animals!! Those are his favorite and he will tear them up when he gets bored. He needs lots of excersize and loves to snuggle(both actually did).
    I would try a squirt bottle for the off behaviour. I woudl even remove him from the area and maybe try a crate when he is acting inapropriatly!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2010