Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you get food poisoning from moldy shredded cheese?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

Answers (3)
  • Nah...I have eaten moldy shredded cheese a few times and been fine. Grossed me out.

    I mean sure technically you could, but I never have. Not something you usually hear people get sick from. Usually it's mayo sandwiches that have been sitting out things like that.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • Not likely. Even if you actually eat the mold. Cheese is one "safe" food if it molds - cut the mold off, or pull the moldy cheese out of shredded, and use. The first daycare my kids went to, the lady told me when I picked them on one afternoon she'd made pizza or something for lunch, and the cheese was moldy, she pulled out the mold & used the rest, but my kids weren't affected in any way - I watched them close for 2 days and nothing happened.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

  • if moldy cheese is bad, I guess I can't eat bleu cheese anymore LOL

    like said above, just take out the moldy part and you'll be fine

    it's more of a psychological response if anything if you get sick from it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.