Please could you help me with some advice? My 5 month old has croupe for 3 1/2 weeks now!

What can I do? I have a humidifier on all day/ mostly at night in the bedroom, and have been trying everything possible from letting her breathe in cool air from the freezer then close it, and then I put a warm wash cloth on her chest, I've put her in her bouncy chair in the bathroom while I was in the shower to help her, but everything I do seems to be wrong! It's not helping, and doctor's aren't any help! My baby cough's a lot, and like 6 times a day about! Like I said my daughter is 5 months old. Some people told me to let her suck a lil bit on a peppermint candy cane, and then try a herb, where can I get a herb to help her with her coughing? Thank you so much if u can help me with My little one!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like something else is going on cause croup doesnt usually last more than a week-week and a half. I think you need to put your foot down momma and demand your Dr DO something.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Did you get a chest xray done on her? My son got his vaccine at four months, by five he had full blown pneumonia. (It was a virus according to the doctor....YA the PERTUSSIS virus.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Oh WOW!!! No I did not know that! I will talk to My Doc about it! He said she is gaining so much weight for her age that it's in her throat causing it to tighten up to where she can't breathe very well. But that's BS because that's not the case, and I was a big baby I was 16 lbs at 2 months, she is 20 lbs at 5 1/2 months.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 3:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Get a second opinion.
    My 3 year old has chronic Croup, every 6 or 8 months she wakes us up in the middle of the night panicking and hyperventilating with barking cough. Is that what your daughters cough sounds like? High pitched and like a barking seal? Her Dr. gave us a vial of steroids to keep at home in case of emergencies. We also take her in the bathroom and sit in thick steam with her for 10 mins. and then sit outside in the cool air with her for 10 mins. rotating for an hour and this helps a lot. If that isn't helping, I'd say she's been misdiagnosed... and the extreme temperature changes like that might make her worse if she has a virus or something. I would definitely take her in to another Pediatrician!! She could have something else and it's going untreated. Good Luck!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• hello my nam,e is lynette--- why dont you try rubbing vicks on the nose and the chest that might help....
    Lynette1973

Answer by Lynette1973 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Did the dr. give any medication? Sometimes with croup, steroids help a bit. When in doubt, get a second opinion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2010