I have a 4 year old and 2 year boys that fight all the time. How can i help them from fighting and playing nice. The 2 year old is throwing tantrums, yelling, hitting and throwing things at people. I have tried time outs but does not seem to work. I was recomended a video 123. Does anyone have any suggests? Please help! I am at home all day trying to be the ref at fighting match.

evy4u

Asked by evy4u at 4:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• the only thing i know that works with 2 year olds is consistancy, distract, redirect. in other words getting thier attention on something positive and away from the tantrum and hitting. the four year old is old enough to spend time in time out
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• LOL, I've walked a mile in your shoes. My older boys are now 5 and 3, but they were really bad about this not that long ago. It was my two yr old that was usually the aggravater, and we tried so many different ways of punishing but it seemed like nothing worked. We finally just decided on a way we thought was best to handle it and did it every time. The two main things that seemed to make a difference (after a while) was getting down on his level and talking to him calmly and then time out, or sending him to his room and let him have his tantrum in there and telling him that he could come out as soon as he was done screaming and crying. The other thing that I did when both boys had bad attitudes was send them to their room (they share) and tell them they needed to learn to play nice for a while and if they could play without fighting for a while, they could come out. I hope this all makes sense :)
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 5:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Use a water bottle to squirt them in the face. It's harmless. It distracts them. It can turn it into something fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• LOL Anon 7:00. That is quite hilarious!!!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Well, obviously this post will be divided and I will not return to revisit but.....

Proper use of spanking. Not out of anger, but with instruction.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Omg the 123 works it works it works! My 3 year old absolutely hates time outs and every book says you should do that. The 123 holds the KIDS responisble for their actions. If they don't do what you ask, they have consequences. It can be an appropriate consequence for the undesirable action (like throwing a toy, results in no more toy). Buy the 123 Magic book too, it delves a little deeper into the process.
    CoolMommy86

Answer by CoolMommy86 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2010