breast feeding nipple pain

My child is almost a year old. I am having bad nipple pain and it isn't thrush or a milk blister.What else could it be. It hurts so bad and the tip of my nipple is red. I felt pain like this when I got my period but it went away. This has been almost a week. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be a clogged milk duct.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 5:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yupper i bet that is it OUCH you can try applying some moist heat with a washcoth or in a shower several times a day. when it happened to me , i had my son drink in different positions to help too
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I've never had one myself, but friends who have said it hurts like crazy, and that they had to manually squeeze/express them out in the shower. And that once the clog came out, milk went a-shooting LOL. Sorry, I'm on a caffeine high...
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• most of the time when I had bad nipple pain like that, it was because my babies were not latching on my nipple right.

Michelle215

Answer by Michelle215 at 6:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Ok think it might be the latching I put my baby in a different position and it didn't hurt. Weird I thought that only happened when they were younger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Any new teeth coming in? When my son got his top teeth, when they were just coming out, it was horrible! They would rub and cause it to be very red and sore and frequently I had little cuts. Looking back at it now... I think our problem with his latch and the pain I was having is because he has an underbite... which wasn't evident until more teeth came in.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2010