Graco Travel System - when to switch from the carseat to the stroller seat?

I have the Graco Travel System for my DS. He is a couple days shy of 4months & still fits in the infant carseat that came with it (he is about 14lbs & 24inches long). I was wondering though, is there a specific time to switch from using the carseat on the stroller to using just the stroller seat? Is it the same time he grows out of the carseat or can I switch over sooner?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 6:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't even have to hold his head, the seat goes flat. Switch whenever you don't feel like lugging the car seat with you anymore. It's just a convenience to have it. If you are taking the stroller somewhere and then you will go to a restaurant, you'll want the seat too. It's totally up to you. At 4 months, I'm sure he'll be fine in just the stroller.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I think he is fine to go to just the stroller whenever he can hold his head up well enough to sit in one, but I put my DD in one when she was real young b/c it kind of reclines anyways. She liked it better than riding in the carrier on the carseat b/c she could see around more. But, to a regular carseat, your child has to be a year old and 20 lbs. But, I think keeping a child rear facing as long as possible is best. If you youtube some videos of crash tests with babies and toddlers in front facing car seats, less damage is done to a child who is rear facing.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Whenever you want to. You can use the stroller part from birth, the carseat is just for convienience.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010