Should I tell her?

Some I am a SAHM to an amazing 3 year old. But when my neighbor was desperate for a babysitter I said I would watch her 1 year old. Since then I have also aquired another 1 1/2 year old. So heres my question. I have her over 60 hours away...So I feel I see her a LOT more than her mom. I also feed her all her meals. (but her mom sends the food) Well like I said shes 1 yet her mom keeps sending stage 2 and 3 baby food. But if you give her a bite of your food or a cracker she does fine. I think she should be on solid food. Should I say something? Do you think this will effect the 1 year olds development. (my 3 year old and this the other toddler I watch but eat solid food all the time and have since they were her age.)
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was just be like " Im making my kid some mashed potatoes and mac and cheese today, I was wondering if she could have some." That way it doenst sound like you are questioning her parenting skills, and if there is a madical reason why she is still on baby food, her mom will tell you. Does she still drink formula or breast milk?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• She still drinks formula. But her mom said that once shes done this can that shes gonna switch her to whole milk. She hasn't said the doctor said anything.
    Nessasmomma

Answer by Nessasmomma at 9:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would say something like...... "she is showing signs she is ready for more solids and table foods, is there a reason you would like her to stay on the baby foods or can we try giving table foods?"
    I think it could have an impact on her development some if she isn't offered solids she might only like some of the purees. That was the case with my friends daughter... in all honesty my friend is a bit lazy with her and never pushed eating period... she'd say "she doesn't like it" Before she was a year I thought, oh well, no biggie...but now she is 21 months and still eats almost nothing and still eats some baby foods and doesn't feed herself most things. (we went out for pizza one day and her daughter, who is older than my son, sat there with an empty plate as her mom fed her... it was the craziest thing I had ever seen!) And her little girl is "normal" no reason she can't feed herself and eat all solids, she just isn't made to
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yeah, make it sound like you are asking for the mom's thoughts: "Oh, she really wanted a bite of my noodles today, I think she is ready to try something like that but wanted to clear it with your first." The mom might bring up concerns with you or maybe she just hasn't thought a lot about it, or doesn't know her child's readiness. Honestly, when my DD first started more solid foods around a year I was hesitant for her to eat them at daycare because I know the sitter can't just be right in front of her high chair the whole time and I worried about choking. I wanted to get her a little practice at home first. You could also ask the mom if baby has tried any table foods at home, maybe it is just easier to bring you jars of food than pack actual solids. Bring everything up like you are asking her thoughts and expertise and not like you are making suggestions and she should be receptive. Let her know you'll keep a watchful eye.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010