I don't know what it could be.

My four and a half month old daughter has a couple of blister looking bumps on the inside of her bottom lip. I felt around in her mouth and feel another little bump on the upper part of her cheek towards the back. What could this be? I am afraid it may be an allergic reaction since we are starting food... does that sound like a reaction. I tried to call the dr office but not open yet so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experienced the same thing?

Mameech1

Asked by Mameech1 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be thrush???? Otherwise I dont know. Too much acidity in her mouth can cause blisters. If they are white patches it could be thrush which is similar to a yeast infection.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mine had this and it was Hand, Foot and Mouth (disease) She ended up getting thme between her toes and on her finger.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 8:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I thought of that too but they are not white patches. They are raised bumps almost clear looking. very strange
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• oh yeah i forgot about hand foot and mouth. My son had that and i got it with very big blisters in my mouth. Anyway...that goes away on its own. I'm sure it's not a big deal.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Way too early for solids! Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• About the solids. Thanks for your opinion but she is loving the oatmeal and her doctor said it was fine as well. Also my other daughter was eating oatmeal and stage one foods at this time and she is healthy and happy. I am avoiding the foods i need to but she loves to eat the oatmeal mixed with stage one sweet potatoes.
    I was looking for thoughts on what these blisters could be from... thank you.
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My Babies HF&M had clear blisters that eventually turned red - they were not white. The Dr. basically did not do anything and it did go away. The biggest problem with HF&M is if it gets really bad in their mouth and throat and they cannot eat or drink a bottle. GL!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2010