Have you refinished your countertops using an epoxy kit?

If so, how did it turn out? How is it holding up? Where did you but the kit? What color did you use?

I did ask this yesterday, but got no responses, so I am asking again.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I know the kit you are talking about....we got a pamphlet about it, then I visited the creators website: http://www.modernmasterstransformations.com

It's pricey, but a lot less than the countertops I was looking to buy. I do plan on getting it, but I have to wait until it's warmer outside so I can open windows and doors for proper ventilation. I plan on using the darkest color: Charcoal on my counters when I do eventually get it. It does cost about $250 at Lowe's
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• probably cuz you are more knowledgable on home improvement than most of us. LOL. My DH has redone countertops. I think we used some sort of glue or cement to lay down the tile and grout in between. What is an epoxy kit?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I found Epoxy kits at Lowe's. You can lay it over an existing countertop. You apply a base coat like paint and sprinkle flakes all over and then add a final clear layer. It's supposed to self-level and give a nice smooth solid surface and it's supposed to be pretty tough. I think the kits are a relatively new use for epoxy. They have sold kits to use on garage floors for a long time. The samples at Lowe's look nice, and it sound like a good idea in theory. I'm just not sure it will turn out that great if we do it ourselves. I was hoping someone else had already tried it. We just bought a house with yellow/gold laminate countertops, and I think we may try this - if it doesn't look good I guess we'll spend the money to actually replace the countertops.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mom2Jack - that is exactly the one we were looking at. We would have bought it last night, but they were out of Charcoal colored kits at our Lowe's store.
    Anonymous

• Op here - we have done it, and it looks great. It turned out a little rougher than we want though, so my husband is getting some more clear epoxy to add a few more layers and hopefully make it smoother. I know it will never be smooth like granite, but it really does look great!
    Anonymous