baby with runny nose

My 8 month old has a runny nose and coughs during the night....her 3 year old sister also has it. I don't want to run to the doctor because the snot is not colored at all and she seems just fine with no fever. My question is how can I help her to rest more at night? The 3 year old wakes up coughing but she will go back to sleep just fine after a drink, not so with the baby. HELP I am so tired!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not much you can give an 8 months old I'm afraid. Especailly since the cough is mostly due to sinus drainage. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just keep cleaning out the nose. I put a humidifier in my sons room. Also, im sure you already know but watch out for ear infections.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If her nose is blocked, she is having to beathe with her mouth open, you can put some Karvol drops on her pillow. Check her room isn't too hot or dry too. If the air has been dried out by central heating through the day it will always exassperate a cough. Feel for you. xxx
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 9:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• A humidifier might help and I've always been told to raise the head of my kids cribs when they are sick - either by putting a thick blanket/towel between the mattress and springs, or by raising the head of the crib up one notch as long as she still can't get out of it.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There are saline drops you can put in baby's nose to help loosen congestion. It's hard to get the drops up the nose but they kind of seemed to help my DD. A humidifier could help, too, in the room at night. Other than that, when my DD went thru this I would just have to go to her when she woke up coughing, I would pick her up and hold her upright against my chest for 5-10 minutes to let the drainage clear out a little bit so she could lay back down more comfortably. It made me so tired for those few nights but I tried to hold her and think of all those nights I spent cuddling her when she was an infant and tried to savor those minutes of a warm sleepy baby cuddled against me that aren't so often now. Maybe try to catch a little nap with the kids in the afternoon to catch you up on some sleep. Or see if someone can give you a little break so you can get some shut eye. Hang in there, I hope the kiddos get better soon.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2010