I need some help

I am going on a "no dairy" diet to see if that's what is making him sick, anyway I want to know if chocolate is dairy, at first thought it is duh but chocolate comes from the cocoa bean. If your going to give a rude answer just remember that I need to know for my sons safty, and health. Thanks for your help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Processed chocolate contains milk and butter fat
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• ditto chefronswife.

chocolate has milk - unfortunate I know (my girls were dairy sensitive).
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• So no chocolate of any kind?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• So no chocolate of any kind?

You could try dark chocolate or white chocolate.  White chocolate is made from cocoa butter but I'm not sure if it has milk in it, so read the label.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Obviously milk chocolate is a no-no, but I think you could do some other chocolates. Check the ingredients, most things now will clearly state if they have milk. My DD can't have dairy either and I have given her some semi-sweet chocolate chips and they seem to be ok. Granted, it was only a few, but her tolerance for any dairy is pretty low. The darker the chocolate the better off you will be.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would skip the chocolate altogether for safety's sake, unless you can find some that vegan (never had it, don't know where to get it, but I've heard of it). But there are more things in chocolate that people can be sensitive to besides dairy. I know my son will vomit if he eats chocolate, but he can eat as much dairy as he wants - so we don't know what in chocolate makes him ill.
    Anonymous

• You can make your own chocolate treats by using pure cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is dairy free. Please buy fair trade as most cocoa/ chocolate companies use child slave labor.

Carob is an even better alternative. It is vegan and does not have the caffeine and theobromine that chocolate has (the common allergen triggers/ stimulants that make your baby act up). You can buy it at most health food stores.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I am on a no dairy diet also for medical reasons, so I know that most all chocolates have milk in them. You can make your own brownies though with cocoa powder and no milk. PM me if you would like a really really good easy recipe.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You need to read the ingredients. If it is labeled vegan or parve, then it is dairy-free.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would just leave it out to be sure. Or read the ingredients like "rkoloms" said.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2010