My 6 yr. old is such a picky eater. It drives me nuts.

Right now she is on a french toast stick kick. That is all she wants. Last night I gave her a couple when we first got home. I always give her one snack before/while I'm getting ready. After the one snack that is it unless it is fruit. I had made chicken last night and she promised me that she would eat the chicken all she ate was the skin. She wanted more french toast sticks. I didn't give in and she just went without dinner. She will do that lots of the time just not eat if she can't get what she wants. Her dad and I we are not together but we both have this problem. It is only a very few things that I can get her to eat. Chicken nuggets, pizza, french toast sticks. I certainly hope she will grown out of this. It's very frustrating and I'm sure it's more fault for giving in in the past and honestly sometimes still do.

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• aww we are going through something similar with our 6 year old. and he has gone to bed without dinner a few times as well. but they can do that and it does no harm. they have to lrean ya know? i indulged my sons picky appetite too much last year an we are suffering for it this year.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• A child will not starve themselves. You may feel that she needs to eat more than she does, but if she is hungry she will in fact eat. If you offer only one selection of healthy food, and she chooses not to eat it, put it in the fridge and serve it to her next time she asks to eat. As long as she is drinking fluids (not pop, tea, milk- but WATER) she is fine without eating for up to 5 days, she will not suffer any long term ill effects from not eating, and will be more than happy to eat what healthful foods you prepare when she does decide to eat.
    continually giving into her bad eating habits NOW is going to lead to health problems later down the road...

There are plenty of child friendly things that are FUN to eat, and highly nutritious. If you are truly interested in fixing the problem, you're going to have to stand firm. And only offer her the things she NEEDS to eat, eventually she WILL eat them without any complaint.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

•  When I was still nannying, I had several children cross my path who did the same thing... I found a couple of easy ways to get them to eat, simply by making food fun, taking them shopping so they could learn how to make good choices, we learned to read the ingredient lables- and what bad things that we were supposed to avoid... What they did to our insides- Even googled pictures of clogged arteries, and what diabetes looks like. That way they could understand WHY we do not eat those things, not that I was preventing them from having what they liked.

I've started a new blog (at the request of several friends and fam) highlighting some of out favorite recipes, and some of my kids (and wee ones I used to watch) favorite snacks. ALL of them are quick, easy & cheap. Check it out. More will be added soon!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Your daughter has "food jags". It's an oral sensory issue. An Occupational Therapist will be able to help you.

We have our child in therapy for it. It has helped a lot!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If she knows she going to always get what she wants for her snack, then of course she won't eat the dinner stuff, etc. At snack time, don't get her the stupid french toast sticks. Pull out fresh fruit, dried fruit, cut up fresh veggies, or nuts. At dinner she eats what you serve or goes hungry. Breakfast isn't french toast sticks. It's cereal or yogurt and fruit and toast or eggs. You said it yourself. You keep giving it. Quit giving it to her when she wants it and she'll eat what you do provide.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• What if you tried some kind of system with her that was like.....if you eat 3 servings of something healthy you can have a snack of your choosing? Or even 2 servings if 3 is too many....we had this problem with my stepson. His mother fed him chicken nuggets and fast food crap constantly and he started refusing to eat anything else. Around this time we got custody of him (he was 4) and we tried many methods of getting him interested in other foods but in the end the only thing that worked was to cut out ALL the unhealthy foods - like the above posted said, they will eventually give in and eat if they are hungry! Being strict with it seems to be all that works...good luck!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010