Is it too late to go back..

(Couldn't decide where to put this post) I had my daughter when i was 16 & I never went to college b/c of having a child so young. I struggled just to graduate high school. Now ten yrs later at the age of 26, I now have another child who is 19 months. But college is always in the back of my mind. Is it too late to go back? Im a single mother & STILL not sure what to major in and I've been thinking about it for so long but still cant decide. Right now I work for lawyers as a receptionist, it's a decent job that gets the bills paid but I still live paycheck to paycheck. I want to better my life for my kids.. is it too late? If i went back now, I'd be between 30-35 before I even got my degree, depending on what i major in. Would you do it? I have an interest in criminal justice but can't decide what career to go after, I want one that pays very well. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would sooo do it!!! i mean you obviously dont want to be doing what you are now for the rest of your life. you could even earn your degree online, you would only be 30 by the time you graduate. still waaayyy young enough to start a new career, one that will make you happy.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Of course it isn't too late! Get your GED, if you haven't already. Look into getting a student loan. You more than likely qualify! The gov't would rather you get educated and have a job and pay them back, then to have you be on PA(not assuming you are-but just giving a scenario). See if you can get a friend or relative to watch the kids while you go to school. You are NOT too old! When I went to community college, there were people in their 40's and 50's who just wanted to better themselves and change careers! Good on you for wanting to be better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You need to go back, not only for yourself but for your kids. Show them how strong you are and show them how they should live...
    Anonymous

• It is never too late for an education, go for it and succeed!!!!!

Answer by older at 10:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'm 28 and just started college. It's never too late!!! For what I want to do, I won't be doen until I'm well into my mid 30s. Just do it! There are all kind of grants and scholarships for women/mothers/single mothers. Good luck!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 10:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Thanks so much you all for the answers... I'm going to look into going back asap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It is never too late to go back. I was in a similar position as yourself (baby at 16) and went back to college at 26. Now that I am almost 41, I am returning to college again. I'll be the 80-something year old young lady still reaching for that higher degree myself. : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• recently an 80 something year old woman finally got her college degree. it is NEVER too late. even if you only take ONE class a semester. you are getting somewhere with it!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I have a couple of points for you 1) it is never too late 2) if you struggled with high school make darn sure you have the drive to get it done this time around. College can be hard and not everybody is college material, but the right major (a passion for the topic) can keep you on track. 3) My mother got her AA when I was about 8. Got her BS and then got her Masters when I was about 14.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Go for it! It sounds like something you have always wanted to do. It will set a great example for your children to always pursue their dreams even if life takes them off track, and it will show them they have a great mama who wants the best for herself and her children. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:05 AM on Feb. 11, 2010