Does anyone know how to play poker?

Is it difficult to learn? My Hubby invited some of our buddies over to play, but I do not know how!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do you know what kind? Texas Hold 'Em is probably the most common, so I'll give you a run down. You'll get dealt 2 cards, as will the other players. (I'll try to explain betting and "blinds" later). Then the dealer will put 3 cards down on the table. That's called the "flop". After a round of betting, he'll put one more card down - that's the "turn". After betting, the last card goes down - that's the "river". There will be a total of 5 cards on the table, 2 in your hand. You'll use FIVE of the 7 cards to make the best hand you can. The quality of hands go as follows:

1. Royal Flush - don't count on seeing this. I've played for years and only seen one. A royal flush is A,K,Q,J,10 in the SAME suit (all hearts/spades, etc.)
    2. Straight Flush - 5 numerical cards in the same suit (ex: 4,5,6,7,8 of hearts)
    3. 4 of a kind. Having all 4 cards from the deck. (ex - 9,9,9,9,5)
    4. Full House - (ex. 8 8 8 J J) 3 of one, 2
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• go to a site like MSN games and you can learn online
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• of another
    5. Flush - 5 cards (any cards) of the same suit
    6. Straight - 5 cards in a row, any suit
    7.Three of a kind - 3 of the same number
    8. 2 pair (ex. a pair of tens, and a pair of fours)
    9. One pair - (ex. a pair of Queens)
    10. High card. In other words, you don't have anything but I higher card - not so good!

"Blinds" refer to the money you have to put in before viewing the cards. The person to the left of the dealer is the "big" blind - he puts in the full amount of the blind. The person to their left is the "small" blind - they put in half the amount of the big blind. Everyone after that gets to view their cards before deciding if their cards are worth paying the "big blind" to continue playing. It'll go all the way back around to the "small blind" where that person can either put in the other half of the blind, or opt out.

"Fold" - to put your cards down - take yourself out of the hand
    "Call" - to put in
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• the amount raised by another player
    "Raise" - to raise the amount of money (or chips) out on the table
    "Check" - to not put any more money (or chips) onto the table. This can only be done when NO raise has been made.

Umm - that's about all I have to offer. Take in what you can, and you'll have to learn the rest while you play.

Good luck!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I used to play Poker all the time w/ the guys. I don't need to post winning hands , since the reply above has that already :)
    If you get the hang of it you 'll probably have a good time too :)
    Enjoy...oh...and it's ok to Bluff sometimes...lol....just don't do it too often , otherwise your opponents will catch on and not believe you anymore.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 10:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I love poker.. Texas Hold Em to be exact. I used to make A LOT of money doing it too.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes since I was 5 years old; funny thing is I hate gambling so don't and won't play for money.

Most people are forgiving of new poker players so don't be afraid. As for learning, print out the basic rules DusterMommy listed on paper for yourself, ask husband what you guys are playing since there are different types of poker games, and read the rules before game day so you’re familiar. Ask husband questions husband and maybe play a few practice rounds before game.

As for easy/hard; it depends. If you know yourself well enough then you’ll be able to control your quirks and impulses. If you pay attention to others well you’ll be more likely to make a wiser decision on if to play out the hand or not, plus you might pick up quirks others have which will give you a leg up. I say learn, play and go in with a “have-fun” attitude, and enjoy.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• You can play poker on myspace and facebook. It's pretty easy to learn. When I'd play online, I'd have a print out beside me of the best possible hands so I would know what the chances were of someone having a better hand and bid accordingly. I'm actually pretty good and I have considered playing in a tournament for money. My best advice to you is change up your style every so often. What gets you beat is people figuring out your poker style, so they know when you have something and when you're bluffing. Sometimes take a loss and throw people off. Good luck and have fun.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2010