Lack of sleep - breastfeeding

I have an 8 month old son who is breastfed ... he does get one small "meal" at supper, but otherwise he's just on BM. We don't vax so we want him to get as much of the good stuff in his little body (especially now with everything going around), instead of filling him with solids. I work 2nd shift, DH works 1st. He's starting to get annoyed that DS is up at 10pm to eat (I don't get home until 11:15). I finally told him to just give him more BM in a bottle, and I'd pump when I got home. I think DH is starting to get annoyed that he's not sleeping through the night, and we're all tired - BUT I'm 100% ok getting up to nurse him a few times each night. What would you do? My bro recommended that we give him a bottle of formula at night - I don't want to, but I think DH does (he's assuming he'd sleep through then). Just looking for opinions here, Thanks in advance for your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd tell DH that its normal for a baby to wake up. To eat, to snuggle, for any reason. It's unusual for them to sleep through the night. He's a parent, and he needs to get used to it, harsh as it sounds.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Can you pump so your DH can give him a bottle of breastmilk? My dd is 8 months, breastfed and is not even close to sleeping through the night either...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It's normal for an 8 month old to wake up at night. But when mine was waking up too much or too often, I started giving him some rice cereal before bed. It was something a little more "solid" to fill his belly a bit longer. I wouldn't touch the formula if he's breastfed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i agree that it's normal for babies that age to wake frequently. i personally wouldn't supplement w/ formula. i'd tell hubby it's just all part of being a dad! :-) also remind him that you are sacrificing sleep a lot more than he is!!!
    Anonymous

• Formula WON'T make him sleep. Been there. Tried that. Nothing MAKES them sleep but their own readiness..and yours is a pretty darned good sleeper.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It's a habit. My daughter was doing that and we had to go back to letting her cio at that time. She stopped after about 2 days. My pediatrician warned me that they develop habits where they wake at night and want to be fed. They don't need to be fed at night, esp. at 8 mos. I wouldn't say it's 'normal' for babies to wake all night, they do it because the parents get up and feed them and they develop a bad habit.
    Anonymous