VBAC-Previous Failure to Progress

As a mom who plans to VBAC in April, I have done tons of research. I understand that chances of a vaginal birth after a c-section, indicated for failure to progress, are slightly less than other indications such as breech baby.

Most information I found is in agreement...but...Can someone explain why this is?

Why are the VBAC success rates lower in a woman who had a previous c-section indicated for failure to progress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it might have to do with who the moms hire for their attendant.

If a mom hires a surgeon with only a medical-model expectation, they might see her prior complication as a medical problem.
    If a mom hires a normal birth specialist (midwife), they might see that as what is AKA a "Failure To Wait." Patience is not as common in obstetrics, lol.

Where is that info from?
    Are you attending ICAN and reading cesarean/VBAC literature, books, etc?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Well the thing you need to look at is WHY did you "fail to progress."

Were you laying flat in a bed or were you able to move around during labor?
    Did you have an epidural?
    How long did they wait before deciding you weren't going to progress?

Often times women are laying in bed through out labor because a doctor mandates they do so, particularly in induction cases, and that's not helpful in labor. Being up right and active during labor is condusive to dilating more quickly and without a stall in labor. Having an epidural can sometimes relax things to much. More than 80% of women who are told they have failed to progress have had an epidural prior to being told that. Another problem with the epi is that women are again...laying in bed.

And some women just aren't given enough time to let their bodies to it's thing. Compair myself and my sister for example...He doctor decided that because she hadn't gone past a 4 in 2 hour..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• s....that she had "failed to progress" and needed a c-section. We later found out, from the nurse herself, that she had been manuelly dilating her every time she checked her and it causes her cervix to swell. SO instead of just giving her time or doing some things like cold packs on the perinum to reduce swelling so she could continue progressing they rushed her off to a c-section.

In my last labor I progressed 1 cm every 2-3 hours and I'm not sure what I was at when I had to push because I didn't let them check me to tell it was "ok" to push. I followed my body's instincts and pushed when I needed too. My HCP was patient and let my body labor in it's own way. My sister's did not. Our HCPs are in the same practice and our babies were born a week apart. Our experiences were worlds apart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• .that she had "failed to progress" and needed a c-section. We later found out, from the nurse herself, that she had been manuelly dilating her every time she checked her and it causes her cervix to swell. SO instead of just giving her time or doing some things like cold packs on the perinum to reduce swelling so she could continue progressing they rushed her off to a c-section.

that's not failure to progress, that's failure of a caregiver to let her body do what its supposed to do. Chances are that if she had been left alone without that kind of intervention she would have done fine. I hope she is going to a different caregiver now? In a lot of cases its the interventions that cause the problems (failed inductions are often called failure to progress) and in most cases nothing is done that actually helps the body do what its supposed to do.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• OP

i went into labor naturally. dilated from 1-4 at home in about 20 hours (where i walked and was able to get down on my hands and knees as my body told me to). they gave me pitocin at the hospital after a couple hours of (laying in bed) no progress. at 6cm i asked for the epidural because the pitocin contractions were unbearable. they also broke my water. after 40 hours total (20 hours active) labor, they talked me into the c-section. i was uneducated and didn't know any better. i know now that i want to avoid all of the afore mentioned: lying in bed, pitocin, epidural, arom and especially the c-sec.

my labor was long and hard...but the c-section wasn't my idea. the baby and i were tolerating labor well...we were just tired and needed more time and less intervention.
    Anonymous