(piog) How should I ask my friend for money? I've been watching her son for free.

Since October, I've been watching my friend's son, now 17 months old, for free. I just feel weird asking my friend for money, since I'm doing her a favor. Well at first it was a favor, but it has become a twice a week thing. I didnt expect to be the main babysitter. I have to pick him up at 430am, and sometimes my friend isnt off from work till 6pm. Depends on how busy she is. My son is 21 months old, and he is a handful. I feel like it's kinda late to ask her to pay me, but is it? And how should I ask her? She has given me some free things and offered to make my sons bday cake in April, but I dont know if that will happen since she will be moving around that time.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I would start by telling her that you feel awkward about asking, but seeing as how you are using gas and you've become the regular babysitter, even though that's not what either of you expected, if she could possibly help compensate by giving you a mere $50 a week? Considering daycares sometimes start at $300 a week for kids that age, you are doing her a HUMUNGOUS favor-even if I did spell it wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I dont think it would be right to basically ask for backpay. but you could set a healthy boundry from this point forward. to let her know you would like something moneywise for what you are doing.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Just tell her what you told us .. "If I'm going to be the primary babysitter, I would like to set up a method of payment." Use your own words if you like .. If it's everyday in a week, then do 100 an week. If it's only a couple days a week then do 40-50 a week. Let her know that you feel that you should be paid as a babysitter, since you've become his primary babysitter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yes i wouldnt ask for backpay...hasnt even crossed my mind! and i dont know about asking for $50 a week, because I dont watch him everyday
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:18 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would tell "I'm sorry I can't watch your son any more, I've been doing it for months trying to give you time to find someone to do it, but I need to get a job, and you don't have enough respect to offer to pay me. Sorry"
    LOL I'm rude, I know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would start off by telling her how much you enjoy watching her son, but mention that the running back and forth is getting kind of expensive, as is feeding her child possibly 3 times a day (you didnt mention if she provides food for her child) As a previous poster said use your own words, and she should be willing to compensate at least for gas and food. I would ask for at least 30 to 40 dollars to cover your time/services and the cost of gas and food if she doesnt already give you food. She needs to look at it this way...the cheapest preschool in this town would carge her 70 dollars to watch her son 2-3 days a week....for that ammount of time, and she would be very out of luck when it came to the 4:30 in the morning thing because most dont open till 6 am
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• does she live further away? Maybe you could just say "i was wondering if you could help me out with gas money"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• you could also say you were thinking of taking the kids out to mcdonalds or something and would like it if she could help throw in some cash during the week for your outings
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• maybe you could tell her you are tired of getting up so early and then she will offer to pay you to come out and pick up the child if she isnt able to driver to you
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I was watching a little girl for a little while for someone in my neighborhood and I was picking her up from daycare 3 days a week and keeping her every saturday. on the weekdays after daycare i would keep her sometimes til 11pm and had to feed her dinner. on the weekends she'd be dropped off at about 7:30am and not picked up until 6 or so so i'd have to give her lunch and sometimes dinner, depending on when we ate. and i was only getting $55 a week for feeding her and picking her up and watching her. of course you wouldn't ask for backpay but seriously, if you're the primary babysitter for her these days and you're picking up her son that early and feeding him, you need compensation. it's nice to help someone out but if this has been going on since october, you need to start getting paid if you contine to watch him. i say $50 or $75 a week. i stopped watching the little girl b/c it came to a point where i was spending more
    m_jerdee

Answer by m_jerdee at 11:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2010