What can I do to get my 7 year old son to stop sucking on his thumb?

We have tried several different things: put stuff on his thumb to make it taste bad, bought a appliance called the Thumb Guard (that worked for about 1 1/2 weeks). I really need some suggestions to help us get this addiction conquered! He will be 8 in June and I really want to get this stopped as soon as possible! Thank you for any suggestions!

dylanmaddiesmom

Asked by dylanmaddiesmom at 11:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried positive reinforcement? rewards for going periods of time WITHOUT sucking on the thumb?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I know you said that you've put stuff on it, but have you tried something like hot sauce. It won't hurt him at all, it'll just deture him from sucking his thumb. At his age I'm sure he can wash it off, but maybe it'll work since it's soo hot.

You could duct tape his thumb to his hand .. Just kidding, just kidding.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My dd stopped on her own when she was 6 because she pulled out her own tooth. My ds still sucks his...but he's still a pre-preschooler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• the more you try to take it away the more they want it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2010

• There's a book for kids his age called, David decides about thumbsucking. It's a great book and it worked wonders for me.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My DD is 5 and still sucks her thumb. Thanks for the suggestions so far, very interested in this question :)
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 4:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I really think by age eight, it might be urgent for you to get that stopped. Have you talked to your doctor?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2010